Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 9:02:32 PM EDT
When my bolt carrier locks back, it does not lock back on the bolt face, it locks back on the lower lip of the bolt carrier. The bolt carrier hangs up when I pull the charging handle back and I can't get the bolt/bolt carrier far enough back for it to lock up on the bolt face. Before going into a detailed strip and inspection. Anyone have a problem like this before?

I think it's hitting the buffer retainer pin and that's what's keeping it from going all the way back. Or could it be that it's hitting the hammer?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
lippo,

is it a fixed (non fixed collapsible) stock?

It's a fixed A1 stock. I didn't think about that, I'll see if the buffer is is being stopped in the buffer tube for some reason.

Is that what you are pointing too?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Found out what the problem was.

I took the stock off and checked to see if the bolt carrier would come all the way back. It didn't. So I took out the buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring. It worked. Which meant, the buffer retainer was too long, so it was hitting the bolt carrier by the firing pin head. So I filed it down a bit and it worked. The bolt carrier came all the way back, like it should. This was with the stock removed.

I replaced the stock and it happened again. The bolt carrier wouldn't come back.

The stock screw is too long. It's stopping the buffer from coming all the way back. So tomorrow, I'll cut the stock screw down by half and that should fix the problem.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a fixed A1 stock.

You have the longer A2 stock screw.  Cut off 5/8" from the end of the screw.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top