Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:09:18 AM EDT
If this has been covered I apologize. My search-fu is weak.

I'm working on getting my first AR. Being a student though funds are limited. So I'm going to have to be buying the AR in parts. My knowledge on AR parts is limited right now.

What I'm getting at is that I can buy an upper minus bolt and carrier now, and buy said bolt/carrier later. So my question is, does it require tools to put the bolt/carrier in the upper? Or is it just dropping it in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
height=8
Quoted:
If this has been covered I apologize. My search-fu is weak.

I'm working on getting my first AR. Being a student though funds are limited. So I'm going to have to be buying the AR in parts. My knowledge on AR parts is limited right now. hinking.gif

What I'm getting at is that I can buy an upper minus bolt and carrier now, and buy said bolt/carrier later. So my question is, does it require tools to put the bolt/carrier in the upper? Or is it just dropping it in?

Thanks

Yes, its just dropping it in.  Make sure to get the charging handle too, because it sort of rides on that.  Other than that theres not much else to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man. Appreciate the fast response.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Hands/fingers are the installation tool.

That said, before purchase, I'd go ahead and spend the $130 on the complet bolt/carrier.  You could trim off $40 or so by getting a cheaper one, but they're the heart of the weapon system - go with a BCM or LMT setup.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Man on my budget $130 is a lot. I would love to just get the complete upper, but I drive 40-45 minutes to college every morning, then 40-45 mins back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man on my budget $130 is a lot. I would love to just get the complete upper, but I drive 40-45 minutes to college every morning, then 40-45 mins back.

Just a thought... What are you about to spend on an upper -bcg?

I'm asking because my guess is you could find a good upper used in the EE with bcg for about what your spending on a new upper...  maybe not.. but a thought.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of going with a del-ton.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
go with del-ton, and get the full upper with BCG. its worth it. i did, and i'm happy as a clam
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, there's something really strange about this thread.Here we have someone who clearly doesn't know the first damn thing about ARs---not even how to insert a bolt/carrier assy.

And he's proposing to build one?

This is madness!!!

Son, let me suggest you take a bit of your limited funds and invest in a manual or two on the AR15/M16 platform----and leave the rest of your money in the bank for awhile; at least until you know how the things work, and are assembled/disassembled.

Believe it or not, you can't use the internet to learn how to run, when you can't even walk yet.

Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm editing my post because I don't want to turn this thread into an argument.

I've looked at manuals, and plan on buying one before I assemble anything. Don't think I'm going to do anything before I'm absolutley sure I know what I'm doing. I'm just trying to make this process easier on my wallet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Building a rifle yourself is a whole lot more rifle education and hands on knowledge
then walking into a shop buying one then going hunting or shooting.
  The knowledged gained from self assembly is WAY more then the ordinary
gun owner has. After assembly you will know that rifle better then the folks that just walk into a store  and grab one. Hell you will know more then most of the folks
fresh out of boot camp. And some police.

Someone trying to talk you out of assembling your own is "PURE MADNESS".

Steve

height=8
Quoted:
You know, there's something really strange about this thread.Here
And he's proposing to build one?

This is madness!!!

Son, let me suggest you take a bit of your limited funds and invest in a manual or two on the AR15/M16 platform----and leave the rest of your money in the bank for awhile; at least until you know how the things work, and are assembled/disassembled.

Believe it or not, you can't use the internet to learn how to run, when you can't even walk yet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, even coming from somebody running three LMT BCG's...

I'd get the DelTon with the BCG included.  It'll run, and they're quality units.  You'll hav to check over the carrier staking if you plan on shooting it large amounts (see QUIB's guide), but it'll be a good value since you're getting it with the upper.

Still, if $130 is out of your budget, consider ammo prices to actually keep it running, and at what point you'd end up buying another/spare one to replace it.  If you're not shooting tonsof rounds through it, then the included DTI carrier group will run through thousands of rounds over the course of a decade without a hitch.  If you see yourself going to carbine courses, rapid fire shooting, or other high-volume training, then a BCM or LMT would be worth the added investment.

Lowers can be readily and easily built, assembled, headspaced uppers are still a good value, and cheaper for somebody with stage one BRD who can't afford to sink lots of money into appropriate tools.

For your budget, the DTI complete upper makes sense, go with that.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'll be working full time in a year after college so ammo prices won't worry me so much then. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to make a few assumptions, but some people new to ARs
consider slapping a complete upper to a different brand complete lower
as "building". I wouldn't be so up in arms about someone with limited
knowledge diving in head first, that's how I tackle most of my projects
it's a hell of a learning curve but it's always fun.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top