Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2002 6:09:11 PM EDT
i currently own a bushmaster pre-ban w/a 16 inch barrel, extended car suppressor included, perm. mounted, of course.  <500 rounds fired.  i am getting a m4a3 14.5" w/phantom suppressor perm. affixed.  should i get the bolt and bolt carrier, or just the upper/barrel alone and use what i have?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
With this few rounds your existing bolt and carrier will work fine.  Swapping the bolt back and forth will accellerate wear on the locking lugs though.

You keeping the 16" upper?  I'd at least get a new bolt with the new barrel (the receiver isn't part of the equation) and keep the bolts with their barrels all the time.  You'll tire of this if you switch uppers a lot, so get a carrier too.

If you shoot a lot get the M16 "gage, headspace, field" and check both uppers/bolts annually.  Comercial gages are undersized and will make your barrel gage "worn out" when it's still well within specs.

The M4 upper and barrel are Bushmaster?

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The M4 upper and barrel are Bushmaster?

-- Chuck

yeah, sticking w/bushy.  i really like the quality.  guess I'll get the bolt w/the upper.  Just hoping someone could justify the cheaper route so i could order it sooner.  :)
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd spend the extra 4100 (?) and get the bolt.  You want the bolt to wear and match the upper receiver as best as it can.  Besides, having a spare bolt is always a good thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top