Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:34:04 PM EDT
Hello,

Just got myself into the 9mm upper game.  I decided to go with a RRA upper, VM Hy Tech mag block and unmodified Uzi mags.  I got all the parts together and swapped my 5.56 hammer out for the 9mm hammer.  All of it is on a pre-ban Oly lower.  Once assembled I pulled the charging handle and the bolt only moves until it is about 1/2" infront of the brass deflector and to get it there I have to pull much harder than with the 5.56 upper...  Is this normal or is there something wrong with the set up?

Thanks for any help!
Spooky
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Should be fine, sounds like from your description you are using a plain 9mm bolt straight out of the box, and the action is simply working the "cam-delay" of the hammer for the straight blow back of the 9mm.

If you had the hammer that looks like the M16 with no lug, you would have been fine, as reports are 9mm hamer will not function with the 556 upper..... I cannot verify myself, I've always used the M16 style hammer. All I do is swap uppers, and magazines.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
To answer your question about having to pull harder on the CH, mine was/is the same way, and when I asked, no one seemed to have an answer. Mine shoots fine, though. Only the occasional FTEj, caused by something I haven't pinpointed yet.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Same effect here. I just got used to it, I guess.

BTW, the 9mm hammer works fine for 5.56 in my setup.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I decided something was fishy so I grabbed all three carbine buffer springs I have and put the "softest" one in...  Took it out and it work beautifully!

I put a Troy MRF-R on it but I don't have any sights!  I just stuck an Aimpoint on it from one of my 5.56's and had to "walk" it onto the target but this was more of a function check than a sight in...  I like the real estate on the rifle length handgaurd but it's a touch heavy.  I'm thinking of having Adco turn the barrel to get rid of some of the weight...

I'm going to experiment with the hammers - I would really like not having to switch anything but my upper!

Spooky
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top