Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/30/2003 5:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 5:02:42 PM EDT by gmtmaster]
Talked to Oly today, the bolt has been hanging up when charging and he suggested that it may be interference with the hammer riding to high in the lower, is this something that I can correct? Any feedback would be appreciated.. Thanks.. John
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:04:08 PM EDT
Hard to say without more info, but Oly's suggestion is one possibility. Can you give us a bit more detail about what happens, and when?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 6:23:53 PM EDT by Halfcocked]
What are the symtoms? Bolt not closing? FTF? There is an issue with using firing pins that have a larger diameter collar and the bastard bolt carriers from Colt. The hammer is pushed down and rides under the bolt carrier when then the bolt carrier goes back. When the bolt carrier comes forward the hammer hasn't yet engaged the disconnector and is still being held down by the carrier. If the trigger is released the hammer will want to come up even futher than the disconnector would allow and catch on the larger collar firing pin. Fire the weapon an concentrate on pulling the trigger back and holding it. Do you still have the symptoms?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:22:17 PM EDT
Ok, in a nutshell..About 40% of the time when I charge the bolt is able to be pulled half way backs and stops, if I let it forward and pull kind of like a pull start several times itll free up. When I get the bolt back on occasion itll hang up on the way forward, (only if I ride the bolt forward though). No problem firing at all. Cant see any F/A problem, rifle is squeaky clean.. Any input is appreciated..
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:25:53 PM EDT
Take the upper off and try to simulate the action by hand on the hammer. Notice any problems?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:35:38 PM EDT
bolt slides freely inside the upper w/o hangups.. is this what you are referring to?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 7:22:33 PM EDT by shamayim]
Look at the underside of the bolt carrier and the front face of the hammer. If your bolt carrier is cutaway on the underside, exposing the rear of the firing pin, and the hammer has a notch cut into the top of the front face, then the bolt/carrier assy is almost certainly hanging up by that notch bring caught by the collar at the rear of the firing pin. If so, the cheapest and quickest fix is to get another firing pin, specifying that you want a small collar (M16) firing pin. The best and most effective fix is to replace the hammer with an unnotched version (DPMS has them), and the bolt carrier with one that hasn't been cut away under the firing pin. I think I'd replace thae hammer anyway, even if you just go the firing pin switch over. If it's catching the collar on that firing pin, it's almost certainly out of spec; either from wear or poor manufacture. BTW, putting a small collar firing pin in your AR IS perfectly legal.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
I had a problem with the carrier in my preban Eagle Arms AR hanging on the forward assist, all fixed now just needed to break in the forward assist and oil it properly. Make sure and check that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 8:45:00 PM EDT by Halfcocked]
Originally Posted By gmtmaster: bolt slides freely inside the upper w/o hangups.. is this what you are referring to?
View Quote
No. Look at the lower, specificaly how the hammer interfaces with the disconnector. Edited to add: is the disconnector spring in an does it work freely? If not look at the bottom of your upper. Can you see the collar of the firing pin below the surface of the bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:07:50 PM EDT
Thanks for the help on this one.. I have a cutaway carrier AND a large collared firing pin Gonna swap out the carrier and FP from my Bushmaster and cycle it a few times I bet thatll solve my hang up problem..Appreciate all the help. Thanks again.. John
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:10:04 AM EDT
I have had this problem ( after a slam fire, major damage, another story). Pull the hammer out of the lower receiver, put the receivers together, and try cycling. If that works, change out the hammer with another one. Bushmaster $14,DPMS $20,RRA $10 - they're all the same. In my case, the hammer was bent.
Top Top