Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 11:15:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 12:43:22 AM EST by 556man]
While cleaning the bolt, do you guys take off the ejector too to clean it? What I do is dip the bolt parts in Hoppes # 9 for about 1 hour before I brush it. I don't disassemble the ejector and the extractor. I just blow compressed air on the bolt after rinsing it with brake cleaner and wipe it with CLP. I was wondering if I'm doing this right since I'm not taking the ejector and extractor off. I also don't have a small punch to take out the roll pin on the ejector. Shoud I disassemble the ejector and extractor while cleaning the bolt?

Thanks in adavance for the tips.

556man
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:25:27 AM EST
I've never taken off either my extractor or ejector. After cleaning the bolt and wiping away any excess, I just tilt the bolt a bit and put a drop of FP-10 on the ejector. I then use a cartridge/bullet tip to push in the ejector and let the FP-10 work its way down there.

I sometimes do wonder if I'm getting crud or minute brass shavings in my extractor, but so far so good as far as reliability goes. I've got maybe 800 rounds through mine.

I guess one thing that I'm afraid of is, is the extractor pin prone to launching when the extractor is removed or does it just fall out nicely? I had one gun once, not an AR, that when I detail stripped it, a spring, only slightly larger than a knat, went flying. It took me over an hour on my hands and knees trying to find that bastard. Ever since then I'm not nearly as curious or anal about cleaning every molecule of my weapon. There comes a point where you hit "good enough" and basic carrier/bolt disassembly (bolt, carrier, firing pin and cam pin) and bore cleaning has sufficed so far. Maybe there are things that warrant attention on a longer interval basis but that regimen has worked OK for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:22:55 AM EST
Thanks for the reply jmart. I have a preban Colt Sporter that I got on 1990. Never shot it that much and I have probably fired about 3,000 rounds on it since I got it. I too have never taken off the extractor and ejector while cleaning the bolt but yesterday when I was cleaning this rifle, I noticed that the extractor spring was a little weak compared to my newer Model 1 builds. I have a spare extractor spring so I decided to replace the spring. Upon disassembling the extractor, there was only a thin carbon on it which I brushed off. It didn't really got that dirty after 3,000 rounds. I've read some treads about some guys disassembling the bolt everytime they clean their rifle. I was just wondering if they are disassembling the ejector too. Just want to make sure I'm cleaning the bolt right.

Thanks again for the input.

556man
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:36:12 AM EST
I pull the extractor every time I clean to inspect the lip easier. For me anyway, this is a brass shaving collection point and I like to get it out. I rarely pull the ejector pin and lube it as previously mentioned by pressing with a cartridge base and a drop of oil. The other reason I don't pull the ejector is that I replace the roll pin just for insurance whenever I pull it. It may not cost much, but I don't want to do it every time I clean the gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:50:42 AM EST
Thanks for the input wrecktech. From now on I will disassemble the extractor while cleaning the bolt. It's pretty easy plus it's a good idea to see the condition of the extractor that way. About the ejector, I guess I would leave it alone and just oil it everytime I clean the bolt. I might get an extra roll pin too for the ejector to see the condition of how dirty the insides of it one of this days.

Thanks again,
556man
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:42:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:09:30 AM EST
Guys take the extractor off and clean it everytime you clean your rifle. Leave the ejector alone (as far as takeing it off. ) . No need to ever take it off unless you start haveing issue with it ejecting cases. clean and lube lightly. Run a q tip through the hollow ( fireing pin path ) with some CLP and get crude out there also. Your now good to go. Also your spring feeling weaker than another one you have is most likely an older STYLE spring Vs. the newer Stiffer springs. I have an older COLT ( 1985 ) and the Extractor spring is alot lightier thatn a new style stiff spring. I will Change it out when I start haveing problems. Been nearly 20 years now and still going strong. Go figure. The stiffer springs really help out them shorter barrel rifles. Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:05:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:12:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 1:48:43 PM EST by 556man]
Thanks for the link Tweak I should get one of those manuals. Thanks WarDawg too for the tip. That Q tip thing is a great idea to clean the firing pin path. Didn't know that the old Colts have weaker springs. It has a black insert too. The Colt spring still works fine but I threw it away.
Time to dig up my trash can. Wouldn't want to throw an original Colt part away that still works.

Thanks again to all,
556man

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:47:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:53:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tweak:
Pipe cleaners, not Q Tips, Q Tips leave cotton fluffies behind.

I'll blow it off with compressed air to get rid of the cotton fluffies. Thanks Tweak.

556man
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:07:27 PM EST
Top Top