Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 10:34:39 AM EDT
I am assembling my lower, a Mega, with a model 1 lower parts kit and I went to put the buffer on the spring and the buffer felt tight in the hole, so I lightly sanded the buffer and the hole till the buffer felt good. Then when I went to install the bolt catch and the buffer pressed in and is tight again only now I cant grab it! Any ideas?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:58:52 PM EDT
If you mean that the buffer is stuck back in the receiver extension (tube) then her goes.

Pull the receiver extension off the lower receiver.  Make sure to catch the buffer retaining detent pin and spring as you start to screw the tube off.  With just the receiver extension in hand, give the end of the tube a sharp blow to a toweled wooded surface (2X6).  

Once the buffer is out of the tube, pull the spring off the buffer and file the end burs off the buffer spring coil ends. Chances are that the spring coil ends are what is clawing into the tube.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:33:16 PM EDT
No, the bolt catch buffer. Its the little piece the spring sits on that  rides on the bolt catch lever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:34:17 PM EDT
Not sure I am on the same page/diagram as you, where/what is the 'bolt catch buffer' ??
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:38:51 PM EDT
Refer to the lower receiver assembly directions on the information section. You will see the bolt catch and buffer and spring assembly directions. Then you will know exactly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:07:09 PM EDT
Which piece is stuck?

[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/lowerKit.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:13:39 PM EDT
Check that, it's the bolt catch detent pin (buffer pin).

Lube the pin in the receiver, and then use a punch to push down on the pin and allow it to snap back out.  You may have to do this a few time to allow the pin to work back out. It may help to give the receiver a few slaps with your hand.

Once out, chase the hole with a drill bit (5/32) and clean the burs/excess anodizing out of the hole before you re-insert the pin (buffer).
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:18:24 PM EDT
I pray you are right I have been dripping oil on it and trying to vibrate and slap it out all day. Driving it in farther was to be my last resort. It only got stuck at nearly the bottom of the travel and so I am afraid the hole is tapered because I cleaned the hole before I dropped the pin in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:26:27 PM EDT
You do know that it goes spring, then buffer, then catch.  The spring should be in between the buffer and the receiver.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:31:30 PM EDT
Should I feel insulted? :) Its correct.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:59:23 AM EDT
I got the detent out! It took a little at home smithing but it now works properly.There was some sort of "flash" in the hole that I didnt see when I cleaned it up before assembly. I must note that I talked to Carricozarmory about the problem the other day and Carrico told me to send it back and he would exchange it for me. Talk about great service! I purchased this receiver back in July I think, and have just had it waiting around to be built. He never questioned me one bit! No B.S. guarantee!
Top Top