Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 4:17:55 AM EDT
What is the procedure to get these parts to align perfectly?

Thanks.

Pete.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming that your gas tube is straight, and your gas block is on straight, your gas tube should line up on its own after sliding it through the nut. If it is off a hair you can slighty tweak it to get it to line up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of rifles, gas tubes are straight.  If I remove the bolts from the carriers, and the charging handles, I can slide the carrier keys right on the gas tubes.  The issue is, that the rifle that occasionally jams, a Bushmaster, I can feel when the key is sliding onto the gas tube.  Holding the upper reciever muzzle down, the weight of the boltless carrier is enough to slide all the down on the gas tube.

Pete.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
pjb, it sounds like your alignment is okay.  I'd suggest your "jamming" might be another problem, assuming your key is attached tightly to the carrier and the screws still staked.  Go to the "troubleshooting" section.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can feel when the key is sliding onto the gas tube.  
View Quote

I had one rifle with an oversized gas tube. Boltless carrier wouldn't drop completly into the upper even when vertical.

Took a while to track it down, but the rifle would still function 100%.

Can you describe the jam in detail?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
What kind of jams are you getting?

that will go a long way to figuring out the problem.

Ruff
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The jam is a failure to feed.  I haven't really looked at what has happened when it was happening, because I go into an immediate action drill, smacking the the bottom of the mag, then pull/release the charging handle.  At this point, I have two cartridges really gumming up the works.

I was thinking that somehow the carrier velocity was being hindered.  I have had this occur using four different magazines, that previously worked in the rifle, and still do in a FA upper.

Pete.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top