Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 7:48:18 AM EDT
I have scoured the site trying to find information regarding the value of purchasing a full auto BCG for a semi AR.  The only information i could find was a phrase that said the full auto carrier has more weight in the back and will cycle smoother.

I run a bravo company upper with 1/7 twist, chrome lined barrel, m4 feed ramps and a LMT bcg.  I am buying a second LMT bcg to take with me for 3 days of training.  Both bolt carriers groups are the same price.  Which would you go with and why?  

Thanks in advance for your answers.  And, if there is a thread about this somewhere else, thanks in advance for pointing me in that direction.  I did look in the FAQ section and did not find anything there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
For the same price I would get a full auto BCG.
I would get a BCM, DD, or Spikes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
A FA BCG is a tiny bit heavier, which makes it a tiny bit more reliable.

The lower weight of the Semi-auto BCG's reciprocating mass will reduce recoil a tiny bit, but at the expense of a tiny bit of reliability.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I find whatever type of BCG you use is irrelevant, since most people play around with their buffer weights anyway.

Don't automatically assumed heavier is better BTW... I've found that my rifle works better with just a standard H buffer, and that the H2 causes an occasional short stroke with lighter powered reloads.

I'll off course, move up to H2 when the gas port erodes and the flow of gas increases.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I find whatever type of BCG you use is irrelevant, since most people play around with their buffer weights anyway.

Don't automatically assumed heavier is better BTW... I've found that my rifle works better with just a standard H buffer, and that the H2 causes an occasional short stroke with lighter powered reloads.

I'll off course, move up to H2 when the gas port erodes and the flow of gas increases.

I gotta agree. I started with an H2 and moved to a standard buffer because it didn't have enough power to cycle the rounds with low power ammo like wolf.  My build has a standard buffer and an auto carrier, which seems like the best all around combination.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The weight difference between the F/A carrier and the "enhanced" S/A carrier is ~0.3 oz.

That said, if they are the same price, get the F/A carrier.

If a M-4, I find going to at least the 'H' buffer to be of benefit when firing full power 5.56 loads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
BCM is what I use

I,m thinking of looking into trying a DD BCG myself––I,ve heard the Quality is Excellent
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for your input.  
Looks like I will go with a FA bcg.  I will run a standard buffer and if there are any issues, switch to an H buffer if the load i have isn't working out.  Since it is a 1:7 twist, i usually shoot  62 grains and higher.  It is a 5.56 chambering, so i do shoot NATO loads on occaison.  It seems to make sense to get the FA bcg and then have several buffer weights available if necessary.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Another angle to this is in the event you ever go to Class III lower you will have all your uppers laying around ready to rock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The weight difference between the F/A carrier and the "enhanced" S/A carrier is ~0.3 oz.

That said, if they are the same price, get the F/A carrier.

If a M-4, I find going to at least the 'H' buffer to be of benefit when firing full power 5.56 loads.

Yeah I keep an H in my range bag just incase.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Why use full-auto carrier...because thats what the rifle was designed for..when you get a chance get an un notched hammer and the feeding cycle getsa bit smoother.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top