Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 7:45:03 PM EDT
Bolt Carrier Group Identification:  How to tell who manufactured the bolt & bolt carrier?

Specifically, how can you make sure you're getting a LMT bolt group for example, instead of some cheap no-name part?

For example, my Bushmaster, came straight from BM, so I'm fairly confident that while the bolt, bolt carrier & upper don't say Bushmaster, these parts were up to their spec's when made.  

However, how do you keep from getting screwed when buying these parts online?  I'm specifically interested in the LMT regular/standard bolt group (no the enhanced bolt & enhanced carrier).

Also, like magnetically tested barrels have MP stamped in them, is there any type of roll-stamp for the bolt or bolt carriers?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Bolt Carrier Group Identification:  How to tell who manufactured the bolt & bolt carrier?

Specifically, how can you make sure you're getting a LMT bolt group for example, instead of some cheap no-name part?

For example, my Bushmaster, came straight from BM, so I'm fairly confident that while the bolt, bolt carrier & upper don't say Bushmaster, these parts were up to their spec's when made.  

However, how do you keep from getting screwed when buying these parts online?  I'm specifically interested in the LMT regular/standard bolt group (no the enhanced bolt & enhanced carrier).

Also, like magnetically tested barrels have MP stamped in them, is there any type of roll-stamp for the bolt or bolt carriers?

I only know of Colt who marks their carriers.

Even the "cheap no name" carriers are likely made by the same people.

Everyone just purchases their parts from someone else.

If you ordered a CMT bolt and carrier its probably the same as a Bushmaster etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm familiar with the COLT Bolt/Carriers, the carrier has C stamped onto it and the bolt has CMP etched onto it...

The DPMS carrier has the letter D stamped onto it...

The bushmaster carriers Ive seen didn't have any letters stamped onto them...

I cant remember what was on my RRA's...

Im soon to order an LMT, but until then, I couldnt help you there...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT bolt assy are stamped with a letter code, for example mine have a "F" letter.

Other LMT bolts have other different letter code some don't have any marks at all.

There are some LMT M16 bolts that have the MPI markings. Also there are some rare M16 bolts that have chrome plating (dull not shiney) which was a factory mistake, they will no longer make these bolt assemblies.

LMT bolt carriers are not marked. Each and every LMT bolts are 100% MPI tested same as Colt.

I own two LMT BCG, a chrome plated bolt in a M16 bolt carrier and a plain semi-auto BCG.

My advice is to purchase LMT BCG from dealers at the Equipment Exchange boards like Bravo Co., Global Tactical Supply, G&R Tactical, JTAC Supply, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know who's carriers have a "J" stamped on it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone know who's carriers have a "J" stamped on it?

Don't remember who made those, but they were a USGI replacement part, and run like apes.  I like em.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Ekie!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top