Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 5:36:14 PM EDT
My buddy was shooting his AR Sunday when all the lugs broke off his bolt. Anyone else see this before?
Although he was shooting handloads, they were not too hot.
I was going to do a search but I can't find it again?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Search feature is now one of the perks of site members.

What kind of AR was this?  How old?  Is it chambered for .223 or for 5.56mm, and what was the caliber of the handloads?

Also, do you have the recipe for the handloads?

I'm sure I'm missing another 20 important questions.  I'll step aside and let the cognoscenti take over.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like an accidental doublecharge.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Bolts break from time to time, Sometimes at the lugs, and sometimes at the cam pin hole.
If you look in the TM, you'll see that the bolts are to be inspected for cracks at the lugs and the cam pin hole.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard of the bolts snapping at the cam hole, but have never heard of them snapping off the all the lugs at the same time.

Any idea of where this bolt came from?
I sounds like the bolt was heat treated too deep, and caused the metal to be too brittle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, one thing it WAS NOT was a double charge ! You can't get all the powder you want into the small 223 case. Hell, with commercial brass, all you have to do is dip brass into WW 748 , level powder with top of case, jam in a bullet and you are set to go !! But really, you are hard pressed to get the max load into those cases.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of suppositions here, but without the body and an autopsy, we'll never know.
I'm leaning towards the incorrect heat treat theory. Then again, anytime handloads are involved, they are automatically the prime suspect.
Could there have been a second shooter?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top