Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2005 10:10:23 AM EDT
Hi,

Because of a deformed gas ring, I replaced them with a one-piece McFarland.  As recommended from someone here on the forum, I used a light sandpaper inside the bolt carrier to polish any burrs that may have caused the first gas ring to get hung up.  (It was my first time out with the rifle.)

So now, after lubing up the bolt, the carrier, the gas ring, etc., it seems like the bolt has a very tight fit inside the carrier.  I understand from the tech manual that the bolt should not fall out of the carrier under it's own weight (without the cam pin in), but how tight is too tight?  Seems like I really have to 'snap' it in there now.  And when I hold the carrier upside down with the bolt all the way in (without the cam pin installed), the bolt will not slide out at all.  It has to be pulled out.

Any thoughts?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Philip
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Your bolt should NOT fall out of the bolt carrier with the cam pin removed. Atight fit is normal.
                         I am the 'sandpaper' guy. A gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi 'Sandpaper Guy',

Thanks for your reply.he
Anyhow, I went ahead and put things back together and the action feels smooth enough when using the charging handle and doing the function check.  So I'm going to head to the range tonight and try it out again.

I was a little nervous with the sandpaper.  Couldn't really see what I was doing too well inside the carrier, but we'll see if my gas ring stays in tact this time around.

Thanks again.  As a newbie, I really appreciate the help.

Philip
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Philter

Your gun will explode if you fire it!  Please send it to me right away!  I'll provide a good, safe home.

Thanks for posting your experiences with your rifle.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it, it will loosen up.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top