Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:07:13 AM EST
Well, I finally ordered some Boshield. I sanded the parkerizing off of a USGI cleaning-rod, M16 kit. I coated 1/2 of the rod with CLP and then wiped it dry. I did the same to the other side with Boshield T9. I then placed the rod on a folded piece of toilet-paper in a plastic plate and poured salt-water in the plate. I then placed a folded piece of toilet paper over the rod. This was at 2200hrs Nov. 3, 2009. Today at 1300hrs, Nov. 4, 2009, I have noted the beginnings of rust down the entire half of the rod coated with Boshield. The CLP half shows no such issue and looks perfectly clean, save for 1/2" of the rod closest to the line I drew to differentiate the halves. This may be due to my being very careful of not coating the Boshield side with CLP. Either way, BoShield T9 appears vastly inferior to CLP (Breakfree formula) with reguards to rust prevention.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:18:40 AM EST
I tried Boeshield T-9 in 2001 as a weapons lubricant and it did not hold up to heat well at all. After only 120 rounds (4 30rnd mags) my Colt SP-1 carbine started jamming. With break free CLP i can get 300 plus rounds before I have problems. I did spray both BCG very liberaly, not quite dripping but close. I did not spray BCG after initiall lube as I would normally do just to see how long thay would go. My SP-1 and HBAR have ran in excess of 400 rounds during training with a extra lube shot between drills. I am in the middle of testing the SLICK 2000 lube having purchased some last week. the T-9 stated on the can it is Rust and Corrosion protection but then again CLP has always done a great job of that so your test is very infomative. Thanks

P.S. The T-9 does how ever make great chain lube for bicycles and garage door chains.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:33:21 AM EST

try it again but don't wipe the boeshield off.i use it on woodworking tools and i have never seen anything rust.i think it is a poor lubricant.it can take only 250 degrees.its made mostly of wax.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:40:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 4:29:58 PM EST by kc3]

For storage protection the instructions tell you to spray it on and leave it.

Like the other guy said, it is mainly wax in a solvent carrier. If you wipe it off before it dries, you're taking the wax, the part that is "protecting" against rust, off.

Use it as directed and you may get better results.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:53:31 AM EST
Used as directed Boeshield is an excellent long term protectant. If you wipe off the protectant and just leave the solvent during application it won't work very well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:29:25 AM EST
not to hijack, but is the "winchester" clp different from the breakfree? gander and wallmart used to carry BF clp, but now GM doesnt and wallmart only carries the winchester. just want to know before i spend $.
Top Top