Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/9/2002 7:27:54 PM EDT
Okay, so I've obsessed over which dot sight to get for months, and finally went with the Eotech 552. I have handled an Eotech twice. The first was in my office and I was not very impressed. The dot was blurry and I couldn't clearly make out the 2D (1 MOA dot and 64 MOA circle) reticle.

The second time was at my local range on an overcast day. The reticle was crystal clear, from up close to 100 yards. I was shooting a friends Colt A3 Tactical (i.e., I've shot with the sight). This is really what sold me on the sight.

Then, I finally take the plunge and order one (ordered Friday, shows up Monday -- SableCo is GREAT!). After setting it up on my rifle, I have to strain my eyes to not focus on the dot and focus on the target. Then I can only briefly see the dot kind of clearly. The rest of the time it looks like a huge 64 MOA blurrly roadkill. This is all in my house after dark (dark corners, bright lights, in between lights, i.e., the environment when I might need to use the sight for home defense).

I took a digital picture of the sight and the reticle was crystal clear. My wife looked at the sight and it was crystal clear. I pic up the rifle and it's blurry.

I've had PRK laser surgery done on my eyes, and tend to see some halos around lights at night. I wonder if perhaps the large outer ring of the Eotech is causing me problems when it blurs into the smaller dot. (In reality, it often looks like one big grainy dot.) Yes, I have been trying different brightness levels on the sight.

I've tried to focus on the target and not the dot (kind of getting away from looking at the front sight), and that only helps things to a degree. Is this change of focus necessary with dot sights?

And should a dot sight reasonably be able to perform over a wide range of lighting conditions like moving through a house at night? (Dumb question, of course it should, but to what degree are my problems "normal?")

I don't know if this is a product of my eyes (which I know individual eyes are a factor with dot sights) or simply getting use to the sight.

I wonder if the single 4 MOA dot of the Aimpoint would be better for my eyes. Meaning, even if it gets a little blurry it's one small dot versus one huge ring.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Anyone want to buy a LNIB been mounted buy not fired owned for 4 hours Eotech 552? (No, I don't expect Donnie to do an exchange for an Aimpoint M2.)

TIA

(Yes, I'm frustrated.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:39:26 PM EDT
Corey, Are you shooting with one or both eyes open, you did not specify? If only one, have you given both eyes open a try? Just a thought from the inexperienced side of the fence. FWIW: Within the last 10 days I tried an EOTech, C-More, Reflex II, ACOG and Aimpoint M2 (it's great to have friends with lots of toys!) and I everytime keeped going back to the Aimpoint M2. Since none are a perfect 10 in every catagory the Aimpoint won the points battle with me...FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2002 8:13:00 PM EDT by Para069]
Corey , Wow , I know what you mean! I looked thru a 2D Eotech last weekend at the gunshow and all I saw was a mass of a blur. I also have had RK on my eyes(about 10yrs ago) , but did not put this 2&2 together. All my buddies at the show said they saw the dot & circle fine , But I just did'nt see it. I have shot Open Class IPSC for many years and am well versed in using "dot" type sights , so I know it was not inproper usage on my part.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:12:48 PM EDT
Sounds like either the brightness setting is too high and you're getting "blooming", or your eyesight isn't what it needs to be to use this type of sight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:14:07 PM EDT
Both eyes open of course. Sorry, my omission Thanks again. Just removed the 552 from my flattop. It was there for about 3 hours. It will likely be in EE in the next day or so. Seems like a great sight if your eyes can deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:16:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PPD: Sounds like either the brightness setting is too high and you're getting "blooming", or your eyesight isn't what it needs to be to use this type of sight.
View Quote
Thanks to everyone for their responses. As noted above I have been trying it on different brightness levels. For those who have experienced the same thing as I have, does the Aimpoint M2 work any better for you?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:18:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Para069: Corey , Wow , I know what you mean! I looked thru a 2D Eotech last weekend at the gunshow and all I saw was a mass of a blur. I also have had RK on my eyes(about 10yrs ago) , but did not put this 2&2 together. All my buddies at the show said they saw the dot & circle fine , But I just did'nt see it. I have shot Open Class IPSC for many years and am well versed in using "dot" type sights , so I know it was not inproper usage on my part.
View Quote
Para: Based on your experience would something like a 4 MOA dot Aimpoint work better? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:24:15 AM EDT
Corey , I have no trouble with the Aimpoints or any other "Dot" type sights. Email me your asking price on your Eotech (it is the AA battery, NV settings model?), My wife likes it fine and has no trouble with the blur. She said it would make me keep MY hands off HER AR.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2002 9:19:35 AM EDT by Corey]
Para: I sent you an email a few hours ago. Please post here if you didn't get it. I need to make a decision on this sometime today. Feel free to call me at the number provided. Thanks, Corey BTW, SableCo has been EXCELLENT about this when I called them this morning. They'll take care of me, but I'm also trying not to make my problem theirs. I'd rather suck up the loss rather than pass it on to Donnie.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:08:16 PM EDT
I saw the same thing at a gunshow here in KC. I posted questions on this in Gen Firerms Discussions, not knowing this was here. I too shoot competitively and use and optima on my Glock as well as other red dots on some rifles. I was not the only one to notice the blurryness of the recticle. This was also the 550 series. scottMO
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:11:19 PM EDT
Corey , Thanks , am going to pass. Take Care.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:16:01 AM EDT
Corey, First, you should focus on the dot, not the target. It's just like the front sight, you always focus on the front sight, right. Same with a dot. Many will disagree, and that is their right. Sure, it's easy to hit a relatively large target while looking at it, but when precision counts, you darn well better be looking at the sight, no matter what kind of sighting system you are using. Second, the blurring probably is from the PRK, especially if it wasn't LASIK. The lack of a corneal flap with PRK (no, it's not the People's Republic Of Kalifornistan!) can lead to some scaring. This usually is no big deal, but is most noticable while driving at night or while looking at lights (streetlights, headlights, or the light in an EOTech or Aimpoint). My only suggestion is to try the various options and pick the one that works the best for you. Fortunately, there are many choices!! A few of them are even good! Bill
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:32:53 AM EDT
Para: Hope things work out with that ML2. Guess your wife will have to share her AR15 after all!! [:D] Probably a good idea, as the sight should work for you as well if you ever need it for home defense, if yours goes down at a match, etc. Ray: Yes, I agree that I should be able to focus on the dot. The Eotech works great for me outdoors on an overcast day. But turn the lights down indoors and the Eotech has halos just like the Christmas tree lights. I didn't think that they saw any scarring after the surgery, so maybe I'll have to bring this up with my eye doctor. Hmmm.... Still, the benefits of the surgery far outweigh this minor irritation. Thanks everyone. BTW, just wanted to say that I refused to send the Eotech back to Donnie even after he offered to suck up the restock fee. My problem to deal with. Well, I just got the emailed invoice for the Aimpoint M2 and ARMS #22M68 w/ spacer that I ordered yesterday. Turns out he ended up "taking care of me" anyway!! [b]I would highly recommend Donnie and Robert at SableCo -- their customer service is outstanding!![/b]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:17:07 PM EDT
SABLECo rules >.<
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:43:19 PM EDT
Ordered the M2 from SableCo on Tuesday, received it Thursday. I promised myself I wasn't going to post without playing with the new sight more, but I just have to say... [b]I love this Aimpoint M2!![/b] It will be hard to post any details over the next day, but I'll try to get a pros/cons of the 552 v. M2 up this weekend. Hopefully by then I will have shot the M2 and will have had some trigger time with both. Thanks SableCo!!
Top Top