Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:56:49 PM EDT
How hard is it to remove something that has had red loctite applied to its threads?

Here is my dilema. I'm putting together a new upper. I'm going to use my MAC suppressor on the new upper. The barrel is threaded 1/2 x 36 and I aquired a thread adaptor so I can use my suppressor. I don't want the adaptor to work loose when I'm firing so I want to put some loctite on the threads of the barrel. I'm guessing the barrel will get pretty hot so I'm not sure how well the Blue loctite will hold up. I'm also not planning on removing the thread adaptor but want that option to be there.

What do you guys think? Red or Blue?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 8:01:09 PM EDT by WIZZO_ARAKM14]
Typically, red if you never want it coming off without lots of cussing and thrown tools.

Blue if it has to come off eventually.

I don't know how it would hold up to heat, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 8:03:12 PM EDT by fizassist]

Originally Posted By fq1234:
How hard is it to remove something that has had red loctite applied to its threads?

Here is my dilema. I'm putting together a new upper. I'm going to use my MAC suppressor on the new upper. The barrel is threaded 1/2 x 36 and I aquired a thread adaptor so I can use my suppressor. I don't want the adaptor to work loose when I'm firing so I want to put some loctite on the threads of the barrel. I'm guessing the barrel will get pretty hot so I'm not sure how well the Blue loctite will hold up. I'm also not planning on removing the thread adaptor but want that option to be there.

What do you guys think? Red or Blue?

I have a .223 can blue loc-tited on my 11.5" upper. It hasn't moved in over a thousand rounds (semi).

ETA: That sumbitch (Gemtech M4-02) gets HOT after a mag dump.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:07:26 PM EDT
Red is used on exhaust studs and is supposed to be, but nothing is absolutely permanent. I would use red. If you ever want it off it will come off, the key to not damaging the parts is perfect fit between the wrench and the fastener and use heat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:14:40 PM EDT
Blue will come off with force. IE, BIG wrench and cheater bar.

Red will come off with same setup, and extreme heat, but not one or the other. Has to be both
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:49:30 AM EDT
Thanks guys. I think I'll use the blue. I didn't realize it is quite that strong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:37:40 AM EDT

I always use blue but red is good too. Besure all threads are absolutely clean and dry. Using activator will decrease cure time.

tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/242-EN.PDF

Shok
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:22:52 AM EDT
You know I just watched a show called Modern Marvels on the History Channel last night and it was about adhesives. It had a really good part about Lock-Tite. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:40:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tallfirefighter:
You know I just watched a show called Modern Marvels on the History Channel last night and it was about adhesives. It had a really good part about Lock-Tite. Just FYI.

I'll have to check, its probably on my Tivo. Thanks.
Top Top