Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2003 9:21:04 AM EDT
Anyone have any tips/suggestions on blind pinning a muzzle brake. What size drill bit, rod, etc. to use. Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as pinning a muzzel devise goes, I believe a 1/8" dowel pin is what is generally used (availlable at most hardware stores).  What Kurt at "Kurt Kustom Firearms"(found in the Industry section), uses and recomends, is a threaded setscrew.  This is what I did when installed a plain bushing (threaded 1/2-28 I.D.) to cover the "illegal threads" of my post-ban carbine.  I used an 8-32 setscrew and w/ bushing in place drilled through the threaded hole into the barrel threads to give the set screw a location to lock into.  I then had the screw TIG welded over to comply w/ the BATF requirement for non-removable.  If the Ban goes away in '04, I can machine off the weld and remove it to install a Phantom or Vortex.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a good idea you have here. Thanks for posting this info.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The set screw idea was not mine, but from KKF.
The bushing idea was mine though, I did not want a compensator.  I made the bushing to match the barrel diameter just before the threads, resulting in a plain crowned barrel.
One advantage that I did have. is that my barrel is stainless steel.  I just made the threaded bushing out of stainless steel bar stock.  Otherwise I would have had to parkerize the bushing to match.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#4]
BY ANY CHANCE CAN YOU POST A PIC OF YOUR STAINLESS BARREL WITH MUZZLE BUSHING SET-UP?  THANKS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Guy down here just drills a divot in the bottom of the barrel, then uses the allen set screw that comes with the comp.

He fills the head of the allen with high temp solder, and its then permanently attached.

He has to drill/tap it to remove it.

For what its worth.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I took some digital photos of my project to cover the "illegal" threads without adding a compensator, but I have no way to post them here.  If anyone can help, please let me know.
Thanks, HarryD
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Dumb question- wouldn't Loc-tite do the job?

I mean the nastier strength stuff. If you need a torch to get it off... it would seem "permanant"... I bet this is totally an ATF call.

Likewise, what if you filled a threaded hole with a little dab of putty, then with JB weld? You could carefully drill it out. Permanant enough? I mean, what ISNT removable, given a torch or a drill press?

The reason I wonder is sometimes you'll see a bargain on a threaded barrel- and I don't want a compensator. I like the bushing idea.

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top