User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2009 6:53:17 PM EDT
Check it out:Blackthorne Pistol Kit

Interesting to say the least...
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
(A complete firearm is pictured, the lower receiver, vertical fore grip, and magazine, even though shown in the picture, are NOT included)

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
so the grip makes it a sbr correct
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think his point was that, knowing the type of people that work there... absolute geniuses they are... they probably didn't register it an AOW before snapping that picture...
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think his point was that, knowing the type of people that work there... absolute geniuses they are... they probably didn't register it an AOW before snapping that picture...

That may be a good thing from a safety stand point. Maybe the man will realize this and shut them down, thus preventing their shitty products from being sold. HAHA
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be a good thing from a safety stand point. Maybe the man will realize this and shut them down, thus preventing their shitty products from being sold. HAHA

Wishful thinking but nope, they'll just change names and move along like business as usual...
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I believe its considered an AOW since it still doesn't have a stock so it really can't be shoulder fired (so its not technically a rifle) Falls under the $5 tax
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No adding a vertical grip doesn't make the barrel shorter.  A SBR or Short Barrled Rifle is an SBR because the barrel is shorter than 16"  

The AOW or Any Other Weapon linked above is an AOW becuse it is a handgun with a vertical grip installed.

A handgun is defined under Federal law as being designed to be held and fired with one hand.  A firearm with two grips is not designed to be fired with one hand so the handgun becomes an AOW when the vertical grip is installed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the funny part:

BlackthorneProducts.com uses FIRST quality parts ONLY , NO “seconds”, EVER.

I guess that Blackthorne upper receiver that wouldn't even allow a bolt carrier to pass through it without jamming up at my FFL's shop was a FIRST quality part.  It's a FIRST-quality paperweight right now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
An SBR does not have to have a stock.
An SBR can have have a stock or not have a stock, and can have a vertical grip with or without stock.
The AOW can only have the vertical grip and cannot have any kind of stock.  
To clarify, to transfer an AOW is $5, Form 4.
To make an AOW or an SBR is $200, Form 1.
To transfer an SBR is $200, Form 4.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
still looks like a sbr to me

how many more people are going to chime in its a aow, what is it 4 posts that say aow. maybe a poll is needed to clarify this
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
still looks like a sbr to me

how many more people are going to chime in its a aow, what is it 4 posts that say aow. maybe a poll is needed to clarify this

I see where you're going with this..

I still think it's an AOW.. poll would be unnecessary, how abut we ask an expert?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I bet they just wandered over to the Vulcan side of the shop and picked up the first receiver off the shelf.

Gotta wonder if they even have a lower registered as an SBR for all the other pics on their site...

How many neophytes have already bought those kits and built it them up without knowing the potential consequences?

They may not sell 'Seconds' but they sure do sell crap that didn't pass someone elses QC checks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Free Bonus Feature- 10 years of free rent ... in club fed.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top