Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2009 7:10:46 AM EDT
Has anyone puchased from Blackthorne? I am thinking of getting a Varmint Kit from them?
Thanks
  Jeff
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Commence .

IOO

and

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont do it!
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
NOOOOOO!!!!!

I can't believe they are still going by blackthorne.  Isn't time for them to change their name again to protect the guilty?

- AG
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES CHILDREN!

The Blackthorne monster is going to kill is all!
Seriously, though, you DO NOT WANT Blackthorne.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Blackthorne = Terrible products, don't make the same mistake I did.

Fine Print:  

Blackthorne is not liable for any versions of the following: 1. Failing to fire due to poor assembly. 2. Terrible canted front sight due to poor assembly. 3. Small or Large explosions that may cause minor to severe injuries to the shooter and/or those within close/far proximity, due to poor assembly...

Seriously though.. minor or major problems will occur.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
They have changed their name over the years and you can find more information if you google Hesse or Vulcan Armament.  Blackthorne is not a reputable company.  They are known for using substandard parts and parts intended for airsoft toys.  Customer service is inconsistent and non-existent in some cases.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan=  Dangerous and pure junk.

Dont buy any of it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW Thanks for the imput everyone. That must be why their kits are $100 cheaper then the rest?

Any suggestions then on good Varmint barrel kit 24 in barrel?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WOW Thanks for the imput everyone. That must be why their kits are $100 cheaper then the rest?

Any suggestions then on good Varmint barrel kit 24 in barrel?

http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_k_bbk.html

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KV2400&storeid=1&image=v24k.gif&CFID=47846884&CFTOKEN=12430863

You can also check gunbroker.com or the Equipment Exchange for a dealer or used one.  Just make you understand that everyone is having a long delivery time on AR15 parts, especially not-so-common parts like 24" barrels.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]
PK firearms has a .204 rugar Varmenter in stock complete upper
and also  DPMS m4 5.56 upper complete in stock only one of these  left HURRY
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Guys  I will go Model 1 route and wait I saw the posts with long wait times so was looking for someone else but quality is number 1. Besides I have had this reciever since the Clinton days I bought 3 recievers back in 92 one is m4 style 16 in barrel and the other is A2 style.  It is much easier doing kits now I see they come with barrel attached and headspaced now. Generally they were pretty good in the day but I did one that was a real b- Itch to headspace.
 Jeff  
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I am a lucky slob, but I've just bought a 24" SS varmint rifle from Blackthorne. I lubricated all the parts, and took it to the range yesterday, except for 2 FTF (my own reloads) it performed flawlessly. It was tight for maybe the first 5 or 10 rds, and afterwards it became ok. Ran a boresnake impreganted with Ed's Red every 5 rds. At 100yds with a 3-9 scope, the groups were 2.5-3 inches. shot maybe 60 rds and no complaint except for the FTF.Workmanship is average to very good, no scratches or blemishes, SS Barrel not shiny but not dull (brushed, maybe?). My brother has a BT 16 CAR with EA lower and he swears by it. Just my honest opinion. PS, I do not work for BTP.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe I am a lucky slob, but I've just bought a 24" SS varmint rifle from Blackthorne. I lubricated all the parts, and took it to the range yesterday, except for 2 FTF (my own reloads) it performed flawlessly. It was tight for maybe the first 5 or 10 rds, and afterwards it became ok. Ran a boresnake impreganted with Ed's Red every 5 rds. At 100yds with a 3-9 scope, the groups were 2.5-3 inches. shot maybe 60 rds and no complaint except for the FTF.Workmanship is average to very good, no scratches or blemishes, SS Barrel not shiny but not dull (brushed, maybe?). My brother has a BT 16 CAR with EA lower and he swears by it. Just my honest opinion. PS, I do not work for BTP.

You got VERY lucky.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"Even a blind pig finds an accorn now and then."  They probably just forgot to screw up your order.  I'm sure next time they will take steps to correct this.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You're shooting 3 MOA at 100 yds and you call that good?  Were those groups from standing maybe?  Anyone advertising their rigs as "varmint" should be shooting at least 1 MOA at 100 yds.

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I made the uneducated  mistake a few years ago of buying a Blackthorn varmint kit. I took it to a friend of mine who is a RRA dealer as I was picking up the RRA lower from him. He identified the buttstock as unusual, later determined to be airsoft.  He enlightened me to Blackthorn+Hesse=Vulcan. It became clear to me from my FAL experience who these guys were. I promptly traded the kit for ammo at a gun show. Unless the previous poster was shooting offhand, 3" groups at 100 yds. is horrible. A varmint or match barrel scoped  on a bench should make one ragged hole.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I think that a lot of folks have one BT rifle but are afraid to admit it. Just like a toilet, everybody has one but no one want to be seen using it
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#18]
3 inch grp at 100 yds i think is good i cant do that with my h bar colt and 4xtrij.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

3 inch grp at 100 yds i think is good i cant do that with my h bar colt and 4xtrij.

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Geez 3 inch at 100 yards? Does that mean at 350 you're off the page altogether?  Tighten it up son!  

Blackthorne thread...IBTL
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

what?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what?

He must have a few broken keys on his keyboard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#23]
junk-o-la
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

2.5"-3" groups with a "varmint kit" is bad. unless you have really big varmints you won't be hitting
many farther out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#26]
as far as blackthorne, well, like everyone has said, they suck.  you dont want it.  its not even worth the chance that you could possibly get one that will work.  stay very far away.

shooting 3" at 100yds is terrible for a varmint rifle unless you were offhand with irons.  you guys need to go to one of the appleseed training sessions.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

if you're bench shooting with a varmint and just have factory loaded ammo, with some testing of different kinds of ammo, you should easily be able to get sub 1" groups.  my 20" sabre ss barrel got me 4" @ 400yds using PRVI PARTIZAN 69gr SMK and a sandbag rest.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just a heads up,  Blackthorne has a new company    Velocity Firearms    they are making the move again.

Look out for Velocity Firearms

According to this thread here they swear they're not related:http://ingunowners.com/forums/long_guns/10958-hesse_vulcan_velocity_22_lr_ar-15_upper.html

Riiiight...

Just like Model 1 and M/A Parts never had anything to do with each other.

Just some clues:

-Locations fairly close to each other phone number wise.

-The physical address is fake.  Rieslake Rd. does not show up on any searches. (Riesland is the 'owner's' name)
(Blackthorne's addy is a P.O. Box.  If that doesn't send up red flares I don't know what will.)

-Same web designer.

-The tracks have been covered as far as the whois info.  That's how he was outed last time.

-Same exact warranty / return policies.  VERBATIM

I'd be willing to bet the Dan Riesland character is just a shill or even just plain made up.

ETA: Really, if this patttern of behavior doesn't give you a bad vibe...  I don't know what the f@ck will.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Beware of Black Thorne Products.
I purchase a 6.8 mm AR-15 Kit about 2 yrs ago. Before I started reading about it on this site. The packaging sucked, it was thrown in a box and mailed to the wrong address. I should have left it there. I assembled it and took it to the range. Thats when I discovered  the extractor spring was missing. Not knowing what to do I took it to a gunsmith to have it checked out and have the missing part replaced. He took the bolt apart and we discovered the extractor was for a .223. He then started to look it over and noticed the extentor port cover spring was intalled wrong causing it to be weaker. He was going to disassemble it, but discovered the front sight was drilled incorrectly and the gas roll pin was smasthed in. He fell it was best just to leave it alone. Since it would take days before a new extractor to show up he reworked worked it and intalled a new extractor spring. The money I saved went to the gunsmith who is a real craftsman.

Now I have put a Burris scope and a tactical flashlight on it and painted it camo with a bi-pod. It also shoots Sub MOA at a 100 yards with my reloads. It is my new hunting rifle. I do have to thank Black Thorne products for embarrring me enough at the range, that I have since learned how to build my own AR-15's.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top