Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2012 12:02:20 PM EDT
Any recent experience with these?  

Are they dimpled for set screw(s)?

The SAA deal is a bit tempting right now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Got the 18" , they are not dimpled,  but mine is Sub MOA shooter. I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" middy I bought from SAA.
I keep hearing how accurate the BHW barrels are but I haven't found mine to be any better than average.
Maybe I haven't found a good hand load for it... it doesn't do any better than 1.5 MOA with the 77 gr Sierra MatchKing reloads that shoot sub MOA out of my "precision" 20" AR.

I just assembled an upper with a melonited BHW 16" middy barrel, guaranteed to be sub MOA. We shall see.

Neither barrel was dimpled, and I don't believe you will find a barrel on the market that is.

Joe

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice barrels - I have a 16" and an 18" that I had melonited.  No dimples.  I like the clamp-on blocks so dimples aren't needed.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information!

IIRC, the SS410 that BCM sells have a dimple - not that I can report that firsthand (yet).

I guess the 50-50 report is not enough of a sample size to go on.  Hope to hear more as time goes on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am getting 3305 fps from M193 out of the 18"...which is about equal to about 20" velocity (which should be around 3250 at the muzzle).

Here was me emptying out a mag, shooting fairly rapidly...LC M193, 100 yds, 3-9 scope

Average to center = 0.952 MOA

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep hearing how accurate the BHW barrels are but I haven't found mine to be any better than average.
Maybe I haven't found a good hand load for it... it doesn't do any better than 1.5 MOA with the 77 gr Sierra MatchKing reloads that shoot sub MOA out of my "precision" 20" AR.

I just assembled an upper with a melonited BHW 16" middy barrel, guaranteed to be sub MOA. We shall see.

Neither barrel was dimpled, and I don't believe you will find a barrel on the market that is.

Joe

AR Stoner Barrels from Midway come through dimpled for a set screw.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Good to know I always do my own dimpling though its not that hard with  a good round clamp and guide.  Just make sure you put some set tape on the drill you use so you don't go to far...
AR Stoner Barrels from Midway come through dimpled for a set screw.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one for my build I don't have a handguard yet so it is not installed and obviously hasn't been tested. It looks very nice and the machining/finishing is excellent.
Mine is the 18" Mid and while SAA says "HBAR" it is more like a mid-weight or SPR profile.
It is not dimpled, and while I would prefer to use a clamp-on the handguard I am going to be purchasing requires a set-screw style due to size.

I have run into a "problem" with the barrel. It does not simply slide into the upper receiver like most of the assembly videos show. I contacted them and they said use of a rubber mallet to tap the barrel into the receiver is perfectly fine. Even then I will probably be removing some of the coating it has on there. Keep this in mind. I tried to work it in there by hand and wound up with blisters.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I am running a 16" on mine. Think its pretty good so far, no issues and fairly tight shot groups. pretty decent at fast paced shooting also
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Joe

Both my Rainier Arms Select and ARP 6.8 barrels had dimples.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see why any barrel maker would dimple a barrel, seeing how they don't know which gas block you are going to use.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I stand corrected. I have looked at a lot of barrels and never saw a one that was pre-dimpled.

As for those that are, since there is a drill jig available for dimpling barrels, I assume that the location of the setscrews is somewhat standardized.

I've used several different brand lo-pro GBs and while I've not measured them, they all appear to have the setscrews in the same locations.

Being as I have a machine shop in my garage, I've never needed either a pre-dimpled barrel or a drill jig.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I stand corrected. I have looked at a lot of barrels and never saw a one that was pre-dimpled.

As for those that are, since there is a drill jig available for dimpling barrels, I assume that the location of the setscrews is somewhat standardized.

I've used several different brand lo-pro GBs and while I've not measured them, they all appear to have the setscrews in the same locations.

Being as I have a machine shop in my garage, I've never needed either a pre-dimpled barrel or a drill jig.

Joe

They are not standardized.  Some have different spacing, some screws have a different profile or are different sizes, some only have one screw while others have two.  Also, some gas blocks are designed to sit all the way up against the ledge, while others have to be set back a little.  If you look at the descriptions for the jigs, it tells you what style or brand of gas block it is designed to install for.

Not to mention, if I am not installing a set screw style gas block, I sure as hell don't want pre-drilled dimples showing through on my barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top