BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:08:02 AM EDT
This may be a dumb question, but why??
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Because some people dont have anything better to do than call the serial number on YOU'RE rifle stolen...That would be one reason...

ETA: IBTL...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people do it, some don't give it a shit.  The serial number being reported as "stolen" by jobless antigun assholes seems to be the primary reason.  

Think of it this way:

Would you post your home phone number on the internet?

Do you put "NOSPAM" as part of your email address when you post them on the internet for other's to see?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Simple to do and could prevent a whole lot of hassle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
i did it cause everyone else was
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys. I guess the question wasn't all that dumb after all. I never would have thought about someone seeing my S/N on an arfcom forum and then reporting my gun as being stolen.
However, it would seem that if I have proof that my gun IS my gun (like the 2 custom S/N lowers I've ordered from RB Precision), I could get the asshole in some kind of trouble for false reporting of a crime. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes you could get them into trouble, but why go through the hassle when it is simple to prevent in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys. I guess the question wasn't all that dumb after all. I never would have thought about someone seeing my S/N on an arfcom forum and then reporting my gun as being stolen.
However, it would seem that if I have proof that my gun IS my gun (like the 2 custom S/N lowers I've ordered from RB Precision), I could get the asshole in some kind of trouble for false reporting of a crime. Thoughts?

Sad to say it is hard to get them in trouble when they call on one of the anonymous tip lines, especially if they aren't complete morons and do it from a pay phone.  Even if you could nail them, you've still had an awful lot of inconvenience, and possibly the (hopefully only temporary, but given the incompetance and abuses of government who knows) loss of your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
An ounce of prevention....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You are being watched....

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Devil's advocate here...

Ok, let's say someone does report YOU'RE firearm stolen, wouldn't the JBT's ATF's first move be to call the owner and start asking questions?  That's when you say, Sir/Ma'am, that weapon is not stolen, I still have it in my possession.  

You drive around with your license plate showing.  Someone could easily report YOU'RE car being stolen and get you a felony stop!  Hide your dog!

To me, it's the same thing.  But I black out any last name, license plate, S/N etc on any graphic I post.  Now where did my tin foil hat go?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Devil's advocate here...

Ok, let's say someone does report YOU'RE firearm stolen, wouldn't the JBT's ATF's first move be to call the owner and start asking questions?  That's when you say, Sir/Ma'am, that weapon is not stolen, I still have it in my possession.  

You drive around with your license plate showing.  Someone could easily report YOU'RE car being stolen and get you a felony stop!  Hide your dog!

To me, it's the same thing.  But I black out any last name, license plate, S/N etc on any graphic I post.  Now where did my tin foil hat go?

You're right.  HOWEVER, I don't mind proving my car is indeed mine.  I don't need nor want to have to discuss my ownership of firearms with any government agency, including local police/ATF/FBI...etc.  So, I take the extra 10 seconds to blur out the S/N.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it's my gun and the serial number is the only thing directly linked to me (through the 4473).

You don't need to know the serial number any more than I need to know your license plate number or SSN.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top