Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2006 6:46:03 PM EDT
I just placed an order for "AR 15 Complete Assembly Guide (AR-15 Guide Vol 2)  by Walt Kuleck & Clint McKee" as it seemed like a good read on understanding not only how to build an AR15, but to also to understand how it functions.  What else should I add to the library?  Thanks in advance.

Wolverine93
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the Collector Grade Publications Black Rifle series is an obvious recommendation, but I'll mention it anyway.  The first volume, while an essential piece of writing, is really focused more upon the pre-A2 era (just as you would expect, given it's 1992 publication date).  As such, you won't find a great deal of late-derivative (i.e. M4) data within it's pages.

Black Rifle II, on the other hand, pays a quick homage to the early days, and then launches into virtually every model, variant, and accessory that figures so prominently into the rifle's history since the mid-90s.  All in all, it's very well-illustrated and an excellent read.  I have found an occasional error here and there (i.e. the specification chart suggests the AR6721 has a 1/7 twist, vice the 1/9 it actually has), and the author's understanding of the subject matter is more academic than operational, but these limitations are quite minor and easily overlooked.  

The main obstacle you're facing here is one of price/availability.  Black Rifle isn't easy to find any longer, and when you do find it, you shouldn't be surprised to pay $100 or more.  Black Rifle II can be similarly elusive, but $60 to $80 will usually net you a copy if you look hard enough.

For tactical information, I also recommend Tiger McKee's published training notebook The Book of Two Guns.  This rather straightforward and unsophisticated little primer reveals AR employment techniques that aren't typically shared outside of the military and the premier shooting schools. It's a must-read if you're serious about learning how to employ your shooting steel when the chips are down and the adrenaline is high.

Chief
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Might want to look into a book by Jim Crews, Some of the Answers, Urban Carbine

This book is more geared toward the basic of how to use the AR.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The book Black Rifle, Black Rifle II, and other great titles are available for order on the Internet at Collector Grade Publications. (Bookshelf number 4)  I have ordered from Collector Grade and their service is excellent.

Link: www.collectorgrade.com
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The Black Rifle II book is a great book and very informational. The Black Rifle book is also great but is not as AR15 related as the Black Rifle II book.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
And one of our members Chris Bartocci "crsbar" is the author of both Black Rifle I and II.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And one of our members Chris Bartocci "crsbar" is the author of both Black Rifle I and II.

intresting, i never knew that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, Chris Bartocci is only the author of Black Rifle 2. Stevens and Ezell wrote BR1
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top