Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2015 6:48:26 PM EDT
Both manufacturers are obviously well respected and produce some of the highest quality ammo around.
That being said, if I'm not participating in 3 gun matches, competitively shooting or engaging targets at long distances (over 300 yds), is there any other reason for me to want to have some on hand?
I use Wolf gold .223 for most of my range shooting (200 yds and under) and have a supply of m855 and mk318 too.
It's expensive stuff and I'd be very happy only spending $0.30rd vs. $0.75-1.00/rd.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Best,
Jim
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

That being said, if I'm not participating in 3 gun matches, competitively shooting or engaging targets at long distances (over 300 yds), is there any other reason for me to want to have some on hand?
View Quote
SHTF/HD/SD

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SHTF/HD/SD  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SHTF/HD/SD  

I get that but I thought the appeal of this ammo was its accuracy at long distances.
Even in a SHTF or HD scenario, wouldn't other cheaper ammo serve the purpose just as well?
I'm not sure - that's why I'm looking at the arguments for or against and why...
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot 3 gun for about 6 years now. I use 55 bulk for everything inside 200 yards. 200 and out I use a 75 or 77 gr load. I hand load using 75 grain horandy BTHP now, but I used MK262, 75gr Hornady match, 75gr Hornady steel match, etc, before I stared reloading.

75gr Hornady steel match was great until they quit producing it. Now many shooters are using the 75gr Hornady match in the brown box. I would try the CBC 77gr. When PSA has it in stock, it is a good deal. edit: try the PPU 75gr match.

I wouldn't say you need BH or IMI, but a heavy match load is better for long shots, IMHO.

Edit: This is assuming you have a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel.

The better BC, better wind resistance, etc, is good justification for keep a mag or two in your bag for a match that has shots over 200 yards.

Edit: M193 is NATO training ammo. There is much better ammo for HD.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it for shooting in wind.  

For HD, I still stay loaded up with M193.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the Black Hills TMK   between the OTM and the MK...that would be a wash for me.

I doubt very seriously any of those loadings 318 included are going to leave someone standing over you saying, "gee, if he had only used XXXX it would have turned out different" if you know what I mean and that's the question you are asking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the CBC 77gr, but I REALLY love Hornady TAP 75gr. A nice average between the two is ASYMs 75gr stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Its better to have and not need, than to need and not have....ammo is cheapish and available, buy some for a rainy day....ppu 75gmatch is a cheap alternative, cbc is great too....
considering 90% of what we buy in modern times is probably not a "need", go ahead buy some, variety is spice of life....but if ur stocked up on m193, you'll be just fine in prob any situation that would arise even in a shtf scenario
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've shot 3 gun for about 6 years now. I use 55 bulk for everything inside 200 yards. 200 and out I use a 75 or 77 gr load. I hand load using 75 grain horandy BTHP now, but I used MK262, 75gr Hornady match, 75gr Hornady steel match, etc, before I stared reloading.

75gr Hornady steel match was great until they quit producing it. Now many shooters are using the 75gr Hornady match in the brown box. I would try the CBC 77gr. When PSA has it in stock, it is a good deal. edit: try the PPU 75gr match.

I wouldn't say you need BH or IMI, but a heavy match load is better for long shots, IMHO.

Edit: This is assuming you have a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel.

The better BC, better wind resistance, etc, is good justification for keep a mag or two in your bag for a match that has shots over 200 yards.

Edit: M193 is NATO training ammo. There is much better ammo for HD.
View Quote
^^^^ this

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top