Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:13:11 PM EDT
I took a close look at some of my MK262 Mod1 blems (Cabela's) today... Although there is a cannelure on the 77g. bullet it DOES NOT appear to be CRIMPED at the neck to grab a hold of that cannelure.

I thought Black Hills MK262 blems had both crimped primers AND crimped neck?

If there is a crimp, it must be a real light one...

What about their 75g. OTM's?

SierraEight, any "official" comment?

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Thy're crimped.

Tack
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thy're crimped.

Tack

Which one's? Your MK262 blems or 75g OTM?

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I took a close look at some of my MK262 Mod1 blems (Cabela's) today... Although there is a cannelure on the 77g. bullet it DOES NOT appear to be CRIMPED at the neck to grab a hold of that cannelure.

I thought Black Hills MK262 blems had both crimped primers AND crimped neck?

If there is a crimp, it must be a real light one...

What about their 75g. OTM's?

SierraEight, any "official" comment?

Rmpl

I pulled a bullet from a Mk262 round, the canelure is very lightly formed into the bullet and the there is little crimp of the case mouth. When I pulled the bullet, it didn't take much for it move and leave the case. Makes me wonder what the point of the canelure was. SeirraEight???
By the way, the BH 68gr has a normal canelure but no crimp!! Can't anybody get this right. Its about time to get a heavy load we can trust, that has all the right features from the get-go!

Dr. Lee

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
75 Gn. OTM

Tack
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
As I understand it Sierria did not want a cannalure on the 77 SMK. The military then went to Nosler who were OK with the cannalure. Sierria then agreed to a light (read compromise) cannalure with a light crimp. I have pulled bullets from the MK262 (Cabela's), Black Hills red box and blue box and the 75 g Ultramax loads. The new BH and MK 262 have a cannalure and light crimp. The reloaded BH have no cannalure but a heavy crimp which leaves a ring on the bullet that can be seen and felt. The Ultramax 75g (reload) has a lighter crimp that leaves a lighter ring on the bullet. After pulling these bullets with a RCBS kenetic (Hammer type) puller I'm not concerned about bullet set back. It takes multiple wacks to pull them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 357SIG for the info...

It seems from feedback here the cannelure importance is overrated and was only done by Sierra due to the hard-headed beauracracy of government. According to Sierra, US SpecOps are using the standard 77g. SMK... so whose opinion do I want to trust: general Army requisition or Special Forces? Hmmmm?

When I get my powders right on my MK262 clone I will probably use the Lee Factory Crimper to put a slight crimp just to take out any expansion from neck sizing and bullet seating.

Thanks everyone...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So does the BH blue box 75 Gr OTM have a can. , or crimp? or not?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
All the Hornady bullet BH uses have cannelures now.  Older 75s did not.  The color of the box does not matter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I do not think that they roll crimp any of their ammo.
TS
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It seems from feedback here the cannelure importance is overrated and was only done by Sierra due to the hard-headed beauracracy of government. According to Sierra, US SpecOps are using the standard 77g. SMK... so whose opinion do I want to trust: general Army requisition or Special Forces? Hmmmm?

When I get my powders right on my MK262 clone I will probably use the Lee Factory Crimper to put a slight crimp just to take out any expansion from neck sizing and bullet seating.

Thanks everyone...

Rmpl

Nope, I read that email too and there had to be a left out a word or something because the Mk262 round is speced with a cannalure and a crimp. Thats what is ordered by the .mil from BH and thats what they make for them and send off to be used by Spec Ops types.......

What you get as seconds from cabelas is the exact same stuff being used by SpecOps types.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks everyone...

Rmpl

Nope, I read that email too and there had to be a left out a word or something because the Mk262 round is speced with a cannalure and a crimp. Thats what is ordered by the .mil from BH and thats what they make for them and send off to be used by Spec Ops types.......

What you get as seconds from cabelas is the exact same stuff being used by SpecOps types.

How much practical difference is there between the Cabelas MK262 blems and Black Hills Blue Box 77 SMK?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks everyone...

Rmpl

How much practical difference is there between the Cabelas MK262 blems and Black Hills Blue Box 77 SMK?

Not much, velocity and sealant and IIRC thats about it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not much, velocity and sealant and IIRC thats about it.

That's not too bad, been kicking myself for that case of BH I picked up before I knew about the Cabelas MK 262! How much velocity difference we talkin'?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
150-200fps
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
150-200fps

What he said
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
150-200fps

Bummer.

Guess I'll have to call that my "77gr low weapon wear training ammo".
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top