Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:18:40 PM EDT
Just purchased 4 boxes of what I thought was Black Hills .223 remanufactured ammo.  I was very suprised when I opened the boxes to find that they are loaded in NEW Lake City brass with a NATO stamp hinking.gif.  So my question is, are these cartridges .223 or 5.56?  I will be passing them through a Bushy Varmiter and am looking for extreme accuracy.  It is my opinion that .223 will be more consistent than any 5.56 NATO round.  Am I wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What color was the box?

If it was blue, they are .223 reman. If it was red they are new .223 manufacture and if the box is white they are new 5.56 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That LC brass wasn't new.  It is once fired.  Black Hills loads all their Blue Box .223 in once fired LC brass.  Looks new huh?  It will shoot just as good as the "new" stuff too.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the box is blue...so I guess it's once fired but doesn't the NATO stamp mean that it's 5.56 brass.  How can they market it as .223?  I guess I'm concerned that 5.56 brass won't shoot as well in my Varmiter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, the box is blue...so I guess it's once fired but doesn't the NATO stamp mean that it's 5.56 brass.  How can they market it as .223?  I guess I'm concerned that 5.56 brass won't shoot as well in my Varmiter.

They can market it as .223 because it is .223 pressure, not 5.56.  The 5.56 cases and .223 cases are not that much different, the biggest difference probably being the thickness of the case walls.  I wouldn't worry about it.  The Black Hills will shoot very accurately.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Of all the different ammo on the market, the best way to find out what shoots the best out of your rifle is to buy a bunch of different brands and find out which is the most accurate or consistant for you.

For plinking ammo the Black Hills BB 55gr. FMJ is very cheap and for me very accurate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the insight guys.  I feel better about it knowing that it is loaded to .223 specs.  I've got a half dozen types of ammo I'll be tryin' this weekend, I'll let you know how the BH works out.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top