Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:15 AM EDT
Is the Black Hills remanufactured 55 grain soft points any good? I'm considering some for my Colt HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the intended purpose?

If you mean quality, expect them to be on par with other quality .223 loads. But 55 gr SP's are best suited for use against varmints and coyotes. If deer is your priority, I'd suggest getting something a bit heavier, such as the Winchester Power Point Plus 64 gr SP. Or if self defense is your thing, I'd recommend the 68 and 75 gr OTM (aka BTHP) from Black Hills.

In order to give you a good answer, we'll have to know what goals you have for this ammo.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be shooting varmints and coyotes with them. I was just wondering if they were a quality ammo and if others liked it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not as accurate out of my 20" HBAR as the 52gr match HP is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I will be shooting varmints and coyotes with them. I was just wondering if they were a quality ammo and if others liked it.

Ok, then the 55 gr BH should be fine for what you wish to do with it, if these loads are accurate in your particular rifle. Personally, I love Black Hills ammo. And considering they produce quality ammo with inexpensive pricing, I like it even better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone else had good luck with this ammo? I'm looking for 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone else had good luck with this ammo? I'm looking for 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

The BHG blue box (uses once fired cases) is top notch and isn't that expensive compared to the normal BHG stuff:

http://www.black-hills.com/images/remanb.jpg

I think its hotter than the military stuff and its really accurate.  My buddy punched a dime, a nickel, and a penny @ 100 yards the other day with 3 shots.  I would recommend it.  If it won't shoot a dime, its the operator, or the gun. :)
- Nealio

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top