Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:09:15 AM EDT
For a really small scratch on an upper that shows the aluminum, would one of these touchup pens cover well and last? The reason I ask is I can send the part back to Colt for free and they will fix it, is it worth that? There is also a small spot, dime size, on the barrel that is a bit light. This is a brand new Colt upper. I am "one of those" that like to put the scratch's on myself, not buy them there. Thanks....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
if it makes you feel better and you cant live with it send it back.

the pen covers it but probably not like you imagine, its similar to using a sharpie. a bit shiny compared to the anodizing and it does wipe away after awhile or when solvents are used.

my colt had some areas where the "silver" alum was showing but it didnt bother me much and i dont like waiting for my stuff. too excited about the rifle to care about little knicks here and there.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont use the pen use Alumionum Black and apply with a Q-Tip.  The Aluminum Black chemically blackens the metal and the pen is just paint.  You are up a creek with the barrel.  It will need a repark, fully painting with Gunkote, or left alone.  Cold blue will not look right but you can try it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks DevL, the aluminum black would be much better, but after reading about the barrel, I may as well just send it back to Colt, they said they will pay shipping both ways. I am the kind of person where it would bother me eklikwhoa, I have three other AR's so I can satisify my urges until this one comes back to roost, Colt say's it will take about 35 business days, so that's a long while, but if its re-anodized and done right, so be it. The Rep at Colt's customer service was actually pretty cool about it saying since its new if I want to use it for a while and then send it back I have up to a year for finishing issues, but I like to do things, yesterday. Thanks again all who responded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top