Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2011 9:37:45 AM EDT
I'm thinking of putting together a 7.62x39 build with the the extra/currently unused lower receiver I have sitting in my closet. (already have a 5.56/.223 build, and looking for something different)

Is it recommended to use a billet upper receiver on such a build?

I see the pre-assembled uppers kits for sale on the net, but most of those appear to be using non-billet upper receivers. (at least from what I can see)

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Billet is not needed.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, that's what I needed to know.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Only reason it is necessary to use the billet uppers so far as I know is if you are going to run a 24"+ barrel as the weight up there can flex the receiver, which just can't be good.  Doubt anyone is going to run a 7.62x39 barrel that long though, so yer good with the stock upper.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only reason to use a billet receiver (upper or lower) is aesthetics.  If you put form ahead of function, go for it.  

Forging creates a superior finished product when it comes to receivers.  Anytime you compare a billet receiver to a forged receiver, the billet receiver will either be heavier or weaker (and maybe both).

Ok. That's where I was confused. I understood billet = more weight. I was thinking that there may be some sort of requirement for the extra mass due to the caliber being larger than 5.56/.223, and potential chamber pressure differences. (more powder in the cartridge, depending on the particular load.)

I think I'll spend the $$ differences on aspects that will have a better ROI.

The piece of paper/bad guy/varmint the rifle is pointed at won't care about the aesthetics.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to use AK mags on a MGI / AR47 lower you might want to reconsider that billet upper.  
Because you need to clearence the upper for AK mags and the forged ones will end up  thin after doing so.  Ones which start with more meat, will end up with more meat left.  

This is probably why you heard using the billet ones, or a thicker upper like the DPMS lo pro in the first place.  Because they are thicker.

If you are going to use C-Products mags, which have become unobtanium in 30rd configuration for less than $30 each.
It doesn't matter.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are going to use C-Products mags, which have become unobtanium in 30rd configuration for less than $30 each.
It doesn't matter.

This.

I have a spare "standard" lower receiver on hand, and was looking to build something other than another 5.56/.223.

Doing a 7.62x39 build with it seems to be an interesting twist. I just wanted to make sure I start off on the right path with the parts list.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Does not require anything special just because it is 7.62X39 in terms of the upper blank material.
The bolt/extractors have been known to have a shorter life when compared to .223, but not the upper in general.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top