Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/20/2004 7:36:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:36:51 PM EST by _DR]

My first gun show after the ban, and nothing much has changed except for the availability of LEO "standard" capacity pistol mags. I went to the Big Town gun show saturday in Mesquite, TX, and AR15/M16 mags were barely any cheaper, unless they were all beat up. still selling for $20-$30. LEO Colts ARs that should be $1000-$1200 were being sold at price gouging rates like $1600+. "pre-1994" ARs were still selling for $1000-$1500, even tired, worn out ones. It was all quite disappointing. It's like it hasn't sunk in yet with all these vendors. RRA receivers selling for $140. No deals here. none.

I hope the Market Hall show on 9/25 is better, but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:30:50 PM EST
Same here. Gun show in Tucson last weekend sucked. Hopefully everything will even out in a few months.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:59:32 PM EST
its all about supply and demand....the prices probably wont begin to fall for a few months. Right now ALOT of people are buying mags/assault weopons...so the demand is higher then it has been in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:17:07 PM EST
I hope it will even out by the time the GRB show is held in Houston in mid October.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:40:23 AM EST
As a newbie I may be speaking out of school but didn't these type gun shows come about because of the ban and now that there is no ban these guys may be trying to milk the ignorance of the general public since they know their gig is up?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:21:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
I hope it will even out by the time the GRB show is held in Houston in mid October.

+1

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:15:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By NIGHTSTALKER_O6:
As a newbie I may be speaking out of school but didn't these type gun shows come about because of the ban and now that there is no ban these guys may be trying to milk the ignorance of the general public since they know their gig is up?

There were gun shows way before the ban. I recall that the pre-ban shows were much better than the later ones. I hardly bother going to any (just the Harrisburg Farm Complex shows). I noticed a gradual declining of both quality of stuff for sale, and the number of vendors.

You should have seen some of the earlier shows. Massive amounts of GOOD stuff, not the anemic shows we have around here nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:48:07 AM EST
You can thank Clinton for the reduction in vendors. He had Janet Reno & the IRS go after so many of them that a lot of them bailed out of the buisness. Fewer vendors, less competition, less selection & higher prices. DAVE
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:51:31 AM EST
p35fn, i THINK YOU NAILED IT. I see alot of non ffl sellers just selling off their personal guns and such.I must agree with most of you on the gun shows now days.I also went to the big town gun show in Mesquite and over all it was ok but i noticed their was no reduction in prices on awb weapons or accessories.It's just a big scam to make money.My .2 cents
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:37:09 AM EST
I think that if I were a dealer who had bought any "Assualt Weapon" before the ban was lifted would want to recoup my money before I started dropping prices. How many guys out there that bought a preban for $1500+ want to sell it now $700??????????????
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:06:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By billclo:

There were gun shows way before the ban. I recall that the pre-ban shows were much better than the later ones.

You should have seen some of the earlier shows. Massive amounts of GOOD stuff, not the anemic shows we have around here nowadays.

Yep, the days of good shows are over.

I'm thinking about going to Dallas next weekend. I don't go unless I'm really bored or looking for a NIB pistol. Other than that, the gun show is a waste. I get all my stuff online for alot less money and hassle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:32:13 AM EST
I went to the big Syracuse show last week.

New York, of course, has a state ban so we can't get any no-ban goodies. I was hoping for a nice selection of post-ban AKs - surely there are many thousands of them in the free states where they are under appreciated now - but nobody had anything except very ratty-looking WASR-10s converted to hold regular mags.

Very disappointing.

If anybody has a nice, parked, post-ban AK with authentic furniture that they want to get rid of, let me know...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:36:49 AM EST
I enjoyed Big Town. Picked up a RRA National Mtch and a Ploy M-14s for $750 each. Not the best deals in the world, but I was pleased. BTW, both were NIB.

JH94
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:38:07 AM EST
The gun show at Hampton this past weekend was a bit of a disappointment as well. The gun show in general seems to have decayed a bit since its heyday a decade or so ago. Various reasons - probably the most significant of which is legislation against it and it seems like all the good guns eventually got bought up. The recent end to the AW ban had no effect on supply or pricing at the Hampton gun show. Few decent 20rders were available and 30s were same as they've been for some time. The majority of the guns are modern pistols. It is disappointing to see so many non-original rifles being marketed and priced as such. Beat up Winchester 97s with non-factory barrels marked at $600+; Winchester trench guns of various vintages/models with original level $2000+ price tags that are obviously mix and match parts from different times, manufacturers, reblue jobs. There was a pre-94 ban AR carbine marked "Colt M4A3 $1400" - it had a standard Colt HBAR rifle lower with a DPMS barrel, a non-determinable removable carry handle, and an obviously off-brand collapsible stock, and who knows what else non-pedigree was inside it. And so many Colt marked 1911 mags and AR mags that are simply not of Colt manufacture but have the Colt floorplate with some strange gray paint masking a mag body in unknown condition. The trend is very disappointing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:52:47 AM EST
Yea I went to the one here this past weekend in Pittsburgh, it sucked big time, some lady had Colt mags for 25 dollars.

They did have a full auto Galil for 13.5K that was neat to see.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By JarHead94:
I enjoyed Big Town. Picked up a RRA National Mtch and a Ploy M-14s for $750 each. Not the best deals in the world, but I was pleased. BTW, both were NIB.

JH94

I enjoyed Big Town also. I haven't seen that many AR15 parts dealers at that show in quite some time. I noticed the prices were a bit high, but if you ask and showed cash, most of the dealers would cut deals. I picked up a chrome DPMS bolt for $100. Not a bad deal I don't think. Picked up a few other things.

Like _DR said though, the mags were outrageously expensive. I saw a few deals on glock mags, but some of these dealers were really reaching.

All in all it wasn't a bad show, it was fun to go to, but I'm interested in seeing market hall this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:09:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

I enjoyed Big Town also. I haven't seen that many AR15 parts dealers at that show in quite some time.

Most of them have either retired completely from the DFW gun shows or have closed shop. I know of at least 3 since summer of 2003 that have done so. Big Town, Will Rogers and Market Hall all have had a decline in the number of vendors/dealers selling firearms. Noone was buying much of anything for most of 2003.

mm
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:11:48 PM EST
Went to the Middletown, NY show last week & it sucked! Been thinking about selling one of my SA M1A preban supermatch rifles so I took it to the show. One guy tells me that SA never made a supermatch model, so it must be a NM......& then offered me 1K for it "cause thats what their worth."
another tells me preban don't matter since the ban went away.......Hmmmm, is SA using all USGI parts on their current production rifles????? Jeez, maybe I'll just put it back in the safe.

700p
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:00:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 1:01:47 PM EST by bigkracka]
Market Hall is the biggest and pretty much the only show worth attending. As months go on prices should come down. Either way, thank god for the internet.

I think the net has reduced peoples reliance on gun shows. There is so much competetion now it's hard to compete. Why pay $7 and walk your ass off in a sea of people when you can get what you need from the comfort of your chair?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:12:01 PM EST
MARKET HALL--------------------------------------This weekend!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:25:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 3:26:50 PM EST by _DR]

Originally Posted By Tex78:
MARKET HALL--------------------------------------This weekend!!!!!!!!!

don't forget me:

I'll be there too!
Top Top