Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:29 PM EDT
I have done the whole 24" varminter type rig and grew tired of it and sold it. Now I want to build another target/varmint rifle, but I want to make it more "tactical"....I'm just a poser, I will not actually be engaging human targets in the sand box or anything, but I still want it to shoot good...but on a budget.

I want to retain my sight picture after shots through my scope. I could do this with my 24" bull barrel, but I want to go shorter. Should I go heavy barrel with a brake or bull.

P.S. I want to go 18" with a midlength gas system and I will throw a  full length railed HGs on it...most likely YHM due mostly to price. I will use a low pro gas block under the HGs.

Also.....If I go heavey barrel with a brake (I am leaning that way) would the 18" barrel from white oak armory be a good one? For the price......that is. If I go bull barrel, I will go with the RRA 18" varmint profile SS barrel.

P.S. I am aware of the added noise and blast of most brakes, but that won't be a real issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd do a 18" White Oak barrel if it were me.

If you dont want rails on your foreend, J&T has a nice aluminum free float for 40 bucks. Thats what I use, but I'll be swapping it for the JP free float as I want rails and I think the JP looks badass.

What kind of brake are you going to go with? I need a brake and havent decided what to go with....Thinking JP.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
A 16" White Oak, with a Vortex fitted  is calling my name, personally.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the brake that I am going to try. I currently have it on my 16"er but I have only test fired it. It sure seems to take all the rise out when you are just standing and shooting..gotta do more testing from the bench.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I want to retain my sight picture after shots through my scope.

MGI Rate/Recoil Reducing Buffer
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want to retain my sight picture after shots through my scope.

MGI Rate/Recoil Reducing Buffer

I watched their cool videos and didn't see any difference in muzzle rise between the standard and MGI buffer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#8]
You are going to loose a bit of accuracy with that brake

The gas is vented asssmetrically, which will disturbe the bullet as it passes by.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a 18" WOA SS barrel from Steve at ADCO (I love those guys...talk about fast shipping and customer service...top notch) I desided to get the one with the full length gas system instead of the midlength.....just looking at pics, I like the look of the exposed GB at the rifle length.

I'll let you know how it shoots when I get all my parts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the WOA barrel.

See, BRD hit me bad... I found out my RRA barrel did not have M4 ramps... no biggie, it still feeds 100% with the M4 reciever... BUT.

I can get a WOA barrel and a stnd reciever and swap'em. Then I have a precision upper!

GOD MY WALLET HURTS!

Also, I agree with the AR having little muzzle rise/flip to begin with. Its only during bumping do I notice the rise after about the 5-6th shot. NO brake/flash-hider either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have experience with RRA's DCM SS 1/8 and it was 1/3MOA.  

Based on that and me not having any whiteoak experience given those options I would go with RRA.  

A Rock 5R  wouldn't be much more, and though I have no experience with them as my Rock 5r isn't here yet, I would be confident going with the 5R as the whole precision crowd seems to back the Rock barrels.

I would do a Vortex and MGI RRB.  that will give you accuracy and with the weight of your rifle and a SS match barrel recoil shouldn't be a problem.  My 16inch fluted HBAR with H-buffer and KAC QD comp sits level when fired.  The reticle jumps maybe two inches at 100yds from the Harris Bi-pod in a prone position.  It's the weight in my case but the RRB should go one better users report 5inch full auto groups at 50yds.  <obviously it cuts muzzle rise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top