Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:29:57 PM EDT
So, I want a tough carbine, not a KISS, but something I am not gonna worry about the BUIS,  so I decided to swap out the flat top for an A2(besides, they just look cool)
Without running a rail set up, what is the best mount to use to run an Eotech 552? and should I run a riser block?

Thanks!

Any pics?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
for a tough carbine I would have chosen an aimpoint, but since you've got the eotech the best way would be to mount in on the handguard.  Do you have the fat ones with the flat top and bottom?  Or the smaller ones that are tapered?  If you have the flat ones you can buy a 1913 rail and mount it on top, then install the the Eotech, I'd also use a YHM riser rail.  If you have the tapered ones, you can buy a 1913 rail that compensates for the taper.  You really should get a rail though.  If you had an aimpoint you could get the ARMS carry handle mount and have it like the blackhawk down delta guys....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There are several "gooseneck" mounts available that will mount the EOTech on an A1/A2 carrying handle just fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Just break down and get a flattop upper.  I finally did so after trying to find out a good way to mount an optic with a carry handle.  

All said and done it isnt going to cost me a whole lot, Im getting it installed for free, and I should be able to sell off my A1 upper for a decent price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
it's called a dog leg, it mounts on your carry handle and goes down over your handgaurds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
for a tough carbine I would have chosen an aimpoint

??? sorry for the thread hijack, but wtf??  They are both tough but the eotech takes a hell of a lot more abuse because of the armor it has
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
honestly I may run an AIMPOINT, I'm not sure yet....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, with the setup your talking about, if you choose to go with the EOTech, I would go with the EOTech 512, not the 552.  It doesn't sound like you're going to be using any night vision devices.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#9]
but 552 sounds so much more tacticool!

No, I hadn't really decided... I've been thinking about getting into some night vision, but as of yet, I am not really sure. I probably will got with the 512...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
for a tough carbine I would have chosen an aimpoint, but since you've got the eotech the best way would be to mount in on the handguard.  Do you have the fat ones with the flat top and bottom?  Or the smaller ones that are tapered?  If you have the flat ones you can buy a 1913 rail and mount it on top, then install the the Eotech, I'd also use a YHM riser rail.  If you have the tapered ones, you can buy a 1913 rail that compensates for the taper.  You really should get a rail though.  If you had an aimpoint you could get the ARMS carry handle mount and have it like the blackhawk down delta guys....

????Mount an optic to the OEM handguards????  You realize the handguards wobble..even if only slightly...NOT an option for a sighting device.

OK, I think you need some more experience before you start posting in threads on semi-technical inquiries!

Best method?  A3 upper
Second best?  True railed freefloat forend
Third best?  The shown mounts that place the Eo forward of the carry handle and lower near the handguard so you can co-witness with irons.

Been there myself...started with my sole AR with option # 3...went to the #2 and wised up and went to the #1 listed above.  Now have 5 ARs all A3 uppers....

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top