Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:15:45 AM EDT
I've got a RRA flat top with a daniels defense 12.0 free float tube and I want to mount a Leupold 30mm 4.5-14x 50mm IR scope to it. What would be the best way in your opinions. The upper and scope are on order, not in my hands yet and I'd like to go ahead and get the right mounting set up so when the upper get here I can go shoot. I assume I could just go with extra high rings and be ok but wanted to find out what might work better. I'd like to keep the mount and rings under 200 if possible. thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:54:12 AM EDT
I'm using the RRA one piece scope mount on my 20" flat top with a VX-III 4.5x14x40mm. It sits a little high for my liking but it works well. With your 50mm objective you really can't get too low can you?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:59:27 PM EDT
I have a GG&G extended rail (GS-1) on mine with the same scope; look at the pic on their site.
-JD

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:23:56 PM EDT
Bhart I looked at thoose but wasa told when I called ADCO they only made them for 1" tubes, mines a 30mm.
HotLead what kind of rings are you using ?
Right now I am thinking about a YHM 7" rail extender and some werne QD rings.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:32:26 PM EDT
LaRue SPR mount. Check to make sure its tall enough though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:02:20 PM EDT
I personally would go with a LaRue if it will work on your scope. I would email Grant at GRTactical tell him what scope you are trying to mount he'll be able to tell you if the LaRue will work. I looked at LaRue, thought it was too much money and spent less going another route, in the end I came back and bought the LaRue from Grant. Good product and a good guy to buy from.

If you decide you need a GG&G scout rail or whatever its called PM me, I have a new one left over from my last scope mounting adventure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:18:08 AM EDT
I am using a LaRue and come's on and off nicely, so still can use the Troy BUIS and PRI front sight.

However, my scope is an older Leupold 4.5 to 14 with a 40mm objective and 1" tube (the 30mm tube went on the PSS bolt gun).
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:44:32 AM EDT
the larue is nice! just under $200 too
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:56:52 AM EDT
Don't know if the Armalit 1 piece mount will accomodate a 50mm objective, but if it will, that's the way I'd go. I'm using one on a 40mm right now. MJD
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:47:18 PM EDT
I used Warne ultra high QD rings to mount my Mueller 4-16X50. I am happy with the mount but it just barely worked for me with regards to eye relief and clearance of the Troy rear BUIS.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 2:43:19 PM EDT by ScaryBlackGuns]

Originally Posted By HotLead:
I have a GG&G extended rail (GS-1) on mine with the same scope; look at the pic on their site.
-JD

www.gggaz.com/images/ScoutRail_GS-1/gs1.jpg

I have to second the GS-1 rail. I have this exact scope with a GS-1 rail and GG&G rings and I couldn't be happier. Whatever you do you will need to some type of extended rail/mount to get proper eye relief on that scope. The end of the scope is just above the charging handle on my rifle.

SBG

ETA- You should be able to get the rings and base for less than $200.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:28:02 PM EDT
LaRue SPR, no question.

I have Burris 3.5-10x 50mm LRS mounted on my AR with a LaRue SPR and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT
Well, I went with the YHM 7" rail and werne high rise rings. I'll let you all know how it works out and post pics when it gets here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:21:10 PM EDT
I recommend Badger ordance rings they make some good quality Steel rings for the AR15.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 11:22:22 PM EDT by Mike_Mills]
Ditto the Badger rings. I have them on my 8.5-25X50 mm LRT which goes on a Pictatinny rail. They are most excellent. There are other good rings out there, too. If you do not need the QD function of a Larue-type mount, the Badger fixed rings are great.

In addition to the rings, be prepared to order an ARMS #36-SEX super extended rail to allow positioning the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief on an AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:11:52 AM EDT
not sure about the Leupold, but I just bought a Burris Xtreme Tactical 3-12X50 and am going to be (haven't taken delivery yet) running the Burris Xtreme Tactical High rings (they look alot like the Badger MAX 50's, but cost half as much) on top of the Arms#38 Super-Extended Swan sleeve...I've been told that the rings should give me enough clearance to get the scope on there to where it isn't too high for proper stock weld, but I will let you know once I get the stuff tomorrow

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:08:42 PM EDT
Got the scope mounted last week. I wound up just using the warne extra high QD rings. Everything clears no problem. The front scope cap does rub on the front freefloat tube, but I don't think that could effect accuracy. The scope sits at just the right hieght for cheeck weld. The biggest draw back is that the scope gets in the way of the charging handle.
Pics:
Varmint 1
varmint 2
varmint 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:43:20 PM EDT
JMO, but I think you need a rail extender. Looks a tad too close for me!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:03:45 PM EDT
I agree, you need to get that scope forward. I use a RRA Scout rail, Leupold high rings. That lets you get up close to the charge handle and allows unhindered access to it.Varminter
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:13:20 PM EDT
Like I said,

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:

In addition to the rings, be prepared to order an ARMS #36-SEX super extended rail to allow positioning the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief on an AR platform.

That is way too far to the rear to get any decent head position fore and aft. Remember, especailly at low power, the eye relief on that scope is about 3"-4", requiring your head to be that much farther to the rear of the rear eyepiece.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:16:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:
Don't know if the Armalit 1 piece mount will accomodate a 50mm objective, but if it will, that's the way I'd go. I'm using one on a 40mm right now. MJD

I believe the Armalite mount was designed to accomdate a 50mm objective and standard A2 or Armalite NM handguards.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:39:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ScaryBlackGuns:

Originally Posted By HotLead:
-JD

www.gggaz.com/images/ScoutRail_GS-1/gs1.jpg

I have to second the GS-1 rail. I have this exact scope with a GS-1 rail and GG&G rings and I couldn't be happier. Whatever you do you will need to some type of extended rail/mount to get proper eye relief on that scope. The end of the scope is just above the charging handle on my rifle.

SBG

ETA- You should be able to get the rings and base for less than $200.

I also use the gs-1 rail with NF titanium rings with a leupy 4.5x14x50 vx3LR. It's a good looking-rock solid scope mounting solution if you don't plan on removing the optics frequently. I'd also reccommend a tactical latch to replace the standard latch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:51:04 AM EDT
tag
Top Top