Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2003 2:52:07 AM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

The thread title says it all. One of my shooting buddies just finished a new AR build and is borrowing one of mine. My stuff came from a local guy who has since gone out of business.

Where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I think CDNN is selling brand new Colt bolt/carrier assys for about $100.

[url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the CDNN recommendation. They have really easy online ordering too.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Just purchased one....will comment on it when it arrives.

Josh
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, full-circle Colt bolt assemblies for $100.I ordered one a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one.  It is very nice and worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine came in today.It only took 2 days from when I ordered it.I've owned BM, DPMS and RRA bolt assemblies and all I can say is the Colt assembly I got today is in a whole other level of quality.Best $100 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies guys. Does the CDNN version have the bolt and the carrier?

The picture on their site looks like it does, but the product description only mentions the bolt.

Thanks in advance [:)]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does the CDNN version have the bolt and the carrier?

View Quote

Yes it does.The complete assembly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I looked at the CDNN assemblies, and am wondering if these Colt bolt & carriers might be seconds or rejects or fakes or such?  I thought that real, genuine, new Colt parts were avaliable through only approved outlets.  Is it safe to assume these are the real deal?

Thanks, as I really am wondering about this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
That is an unbelievable price.  If thats new someone ought to buy em all and make a profit in the EE over the next few months.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I looked at the CDNN assemblies, and am wondering if these Colt bolt & carriers might be seconds or rejects or fakes or such?  I thought that real, genuine, new Colt parts were avaliable through only approved outlets.  Is it safe to assume these are the real deal?

Thanks, as I really am wondering about this.
View Quote

CDNN has a good reputation for being a decent outfit with good prices. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I too have a good opinion of CDNN, and have purchased from them in the past.  Like DevL I noticed the very low price.  What would be the usual going price for a true, new, Colt assembly?  Let's just hope that this isn't a case of too-good-to-be-true.  I'm in for one.

Will someone who has received theirs verify it against the Colt information found here:
[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine is marked with a "C" on the carrier and "MPC" on the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine is marked with a "C" on the carrier and "MPC" on the bolt.
View Quote

Sounds like the real McCoy to me [:)]

And once again thanks for the heads-up on this kickass deal. I wish I had waited before I bought mine-I paid $179 each for three complete Colt bolt/carrier groups. At the time I couldn't find anything cheaper and I wanted to have a spare for every AR I owned.

Oh well [:\]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Imagine they are the carrier/bolts from these, listed on the same page.:

Colt AR-15/[b]M16[/b] SP1 Upper, New Factory

BRAND NEW • Colt Factory SP1 Upper Assmebly • Tear Drop Forward Assist • Triangular Handguards • 20" Chrome Lined Barrel with Flash Hider • SP1 Sights • [b]NO BOLT!![/b]

BTW - They have $20 Meprolight Tritium Front Sightposts as well, wonder how old they are. Not a bad deal since CDNN has a single cost shipping fee.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They have $20 Meprolight Tritium Front Sightposts as well, wonder how old they are. Not a bad deal since CDNN has a single cost shipping fee.

Luck
Alac
View Quote

I just ordered another bolt assembly and couldn't resist trying out those night sites for $20.I'll post how good they when my order comes in.

Edited to add they have broken shell extractors real cheap for like $2.50
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mine came in today.It only took 2 days from when I ordered it.I've owned BM, DPMS and RRA bolt assemblies and all I can say is the Colt assembly I got today is in a whole other level of quality.Best $100 I ever spent.
View Quote

Is the firing pin more shrouded on the bottom of the carrier, similar to the new RRA's.

Got a pic?

Danny
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is the firing pin more shrouded on the bottom of the carrier, similar to the new RRA's.

Got a pic?

Danny
View Quote

It sure would be a fully shrouded firing pin, since it's an M16 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Here you go Minuteman.It's shrouded just like my enhanced RRA was.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p0c22c0a6f9a71ac51a8ae91c08f43fae/fabec2bf.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy Shit! 1 more thing I've got to add to my list.

Thanks E_H and Redbone!

Something strange is going on here. I can't see the url Redbone listed in his post for the pic, but after I hit reply and scroll down I can see it in red. WTF is going on there?

Danny
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it legal for me to install a M16 Bolt&Carrier into an AR15?

That is a great price for a Colt Bolt/Carrier group.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think CDNN is selling brand new Colt bolt/carrier assys for about $100.

[url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]
View Quote

...Does this mean the Contras won't be getting their M16's???...

...(They'll be getting one less now!)...  :D
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it legal for me to install a M16 Bolt&Carrier into an AR15?

That is a great price for a Colt Bolt/Carrier group.
View Quote

You can find arguments on both sides of this question. Me? I just played it safe w/my M16 carriers, and ground back the bottom shoulder about 1/4 inch, so they can't rip an M16 auto sear any more.  Only take a few minutes, and you still have 99% of the full carrier weight, which I am convinced gives more positive functioning than the usual commercial cutaways.

I also replaced all the notched hammers with M16 hammers that have the tail for the auto sear ground off; tho recently I acquired a new DPMS complete lower that had that type hammer in it.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been reading a lot of posts on this subject since I asked that question.

Now I have some different questions. I have a Bushmaster upper with a 14.5" barrel on a pre-ban Oly lower. The carrier is a matte silver finish, marked with the letter [b]D[/b]. The key is parkerized. The bolt has no markings. The extractor spring has a blue plastic insert.

Will a M16 bolt/carrier function better than what I have now?

What's with the blue plastic insert in the extractor spring?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Will a M16 bolt/carrier function better than what I have now?
View Quote

Unless you are trying to solve a specific problem such as hammer catching on firing pin retaining pin, or trying to slow down your action some, you should probably stick with the standard bolt carrier/bolt.  Unless you fully understand the differences between various bolt carriers and bolts, changes over the years, etc.  You probably shouldn't go messing with the action of your not-broken, well-functioning-as-it-is rifle.

Edited to add:  You'll also have to check your headspace if you change bolts, so be prepared to buy a set of headspace gauges as well.

What's with the blue plastic insert in the extractor spring?
View Quote

Although this seems like a basic question, I don't have an answer for you besides that it's SUPPOSED to indicate spring strength.  Springs with black inserts supposedly have stronger springs.  In practice this whole insert-as-a-marking-of-spring-power thing is BS.  If you measure the spring lengths and tensions from different vendors, they all vary wildly with no rhyme or reason to them.  Anyway, maybe someone else disagrees..
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can find arguments on both sides of this question. Me? I just played it safe w/my M16 carriers, and ground back the bottom shoulder about 1/4 inch, so they can't rip an M16 auto sear any more.
View Quote

Just as a note.  The Colt bolt carriers are hardend steel.  That hardening doesn't go very deep into the metal, it's mostly the outside surfaces.  When you grind back that 1/4" you are exposing unhardened steel.

Now, is this a problem?  Not really, that surface doesn't come in contact with anything but the autosear (and not even that anymore) and you don't have one of those because you are all good kids. [:)]

I just purchased a milsurp Colt M16 Bolt Carrier & Bolt myself.  I took it to a friend who does milling to have it milled back.  Unfortunately the hardening is harder than the tooling, so I ended up dremmeling it back carefully.  Turned out really nice, and I smoothed all the edges.  After dremmelling was finished I polished the surfaces with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish.  I'm considering bluing it, but first I was going to research how that would hold up (haven't gotten around to it).

I purchased this item to help solve specific problems I was having though, if your rifle works fine, you might consider spending your $99 elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I have problems with my current setup, and not wanting to hijack this thread, I posted over on the troubleshooting forum.

Thanks
Mick
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Although this seems like a basic question, I don't have an answer for you besides that it's SUPPOSED to indicate spring strength. Springs with black inserts supposedly have stronger springs. In practice this whole insert-as-a-marking-of-spring-power thing is BS. If you measure the spring lengths and tensions from different vendors, they all vary wildly with no rhyme or reason to them. Anyway, maybe someone else disagrees..
View Quote

You're exactly right. In an ideal world every manufacturer would conform to the same standards but unfortunately they don't. On my Colts the blue insert supposedly indicates a regular extractor spring, and the black insert is used in conjunction with a heavy duty copper colored extractor spring. That being said I have three non-Colt spare parts kits and each spring is clearly different, even though all three kits came from the same company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top