Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2005 1:42:12 AM EDT
Hey, I have just purchased a 1/7 LMT M4 upper, and all I can find on 1/7 twist every one bitches "go to ammo oracle" but it mostly covers mil surp rounds! Can any one tell me of a good varmit round that will make jackrabbits explode? Will 55 grn hollow points be heavy enough? Will ballistic tips stay togher better? Any one have a load they prefer?? Thanks, Fisty  
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
No one has any practical experence with varment loads an a 1/7 twist??hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
i don't see why any old .223 hollowpoint wouldn't make a rabbit explode.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are talking about accuracy, and you are a reloader......., the Sierra Varminter 63 gr.  Semi Point #1370 in front of 24.5 grains of 2230 is the most accurate combination I have ever found bar none!!

I shoot this load in my 1:7 M4 & 1:9 MT6731 AR's and in my 1:12 Rem. 700 LVSF

Extremely accurate  in all three..., and very explosive on critters!!

I think the biggest reason it is so accurate in the AR's is that
the "Semi-pointed" bullet has a faster tapering Ogive (rounder nose design) which allows you to have the bullet seated  to almost touching the rifling lands when the round is in full battery, but still have a short enough OAL to fit in, and feed properly from the magazine!  

Without exception....., all other .223/.224 bullet weights & shapes I've tried do not come any where near close enough to the lands when chambered to produce any real accuracy when seated short enough to fit into a AR mag!!

As for factory loads..., Ive never found anything that you could call "extremely" accurate!!

Although I have heard a lot of good stuff about Blackhills Ammo!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
For great ammo, get the Winchester 45 grain HP.  It works fine, even at a full 3600 FPS from a 1:7" barrel and should still open up from a short barrel.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
55 g Nosler BT, 26 g W748, Win brass, Remington 7 1/2 primers loaded 2.26 OAL shoots 1/2 MOA in my RRA 24" 1/8
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top