Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 3:46:41 AM EDT
What is the best trigger setup for duty use that is also good for match/competition use (light pull, etc...)
I do not care too much for 2-stage triggers. I'd prefer a very light single stage but only if its durable enough for duty use.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the best trigger setup for duty use that is also good for match/competition use (light pull, etc...)
I do not care too much for 2-stage triggers. I'd prefer a very light single stage but only if its durable enough for duty use.

+1, 'bout the only thing left to do I haven't researched yet, but was just thinking about tonight.  Same wants.  Arfcom is magic.  Tag to be lazy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Standard mil-spec trigger with about 2000 - 2500 rounds through it.

Why hell, guess my problem's solved!

ETA
Surely there's something I can spend money on!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Standard mil-spec trigger with about 2000 - 2500 rounds through it.

Why hell, guess my problem's solved!

ETA
Surely there's something I can spend money on!  

That makes sense! So anyone selling used FCGs on the EE?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
USGI trigger hammer and a JP spring kit improves thing a lot....  762

- Bill of rights: void where prohibited by Law
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
USGI trigger hammer and a JP spring kit improves thing a lot....  762

- Bill of rights: void where prohibited by Law

+1 ... Installed the JP reduced power springs in my 20" and its amazeing the difference it made. Have yet to have a single light strike on a primer
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had the whole JP ShaBang for 3 or 4 thousand rounds including a lot of ipsc matches. ZERO problems. Breaks at 2.75 lbs. Crisp.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I plan to shoot Wolf ammo, which may use hard primers. I have heard of light primer strikes using the JP springs with Wolf ammo after about 2k rounds. Heck, I've heard of LP strikes using the JP springs when shooting LC ammo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I think this is a good option, if someone has a reason why using the reduced power springs + removing weight from the hammer is a bad thing, please add your input...

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
How about an Accuracy Speaks Unit?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my RRA NM, can't beat it for the money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Best two stage trigger? That one is easy. The Geissele is the best I have tested which has been the JP, Chip, KAC, LMT and RRA.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The Accuracy Speaks single stage setup is very nice.  BTW it doesn't use a stamped disconnecter or a MIMed hammer like the mil-spec setup does

The high mass GI hammer with reduced power hammer springs are not the best combo.  But if you use a lightened hammer w/ the reduced hammer spring you will be sitting pretty.  

Now I know that some are going to say that more mass on the hammer equals more reliable primer ignition but that's just wrong.  The lightest double action trigger jobs on revolvers use bobed hammers because reducing the hammer mass is the only way to produce enough energy to reliably ignite primers with the lite spring that is required for a 4-5lbs double action pull.  More than a few people have used the JP trigger with the yellow springs w/ the GI hammer and had problems with CCI primers or hard primers on imported ammo.  Those that replaced the GI hammer w/ the JP speed hammer curred their reliability problems while still using the same springs.  The same phenomenon can be seen in 1911 based race guns that are using main springs of 15 lbs or less, lightened hammers are an essential part in providing reliable ignition in these guns.

Now the point of lite firing pins have ignition problems will probability come up so I'll address that too.  Yes  floating firing pins need the right balance of mass and velocity to crush the primer.  There is a huge difference between a floating firing pin and a hammer that is actively driven by a spring.  The floating firing pin can only be accelerated as fast as the the hammer was traveling.  My contention is that the difference in  mass between the titanium firing pin and a steel firing pin is not enough to change the amount of velocity that is transferred. So if you have ~ equal velocity and less mass you have less energy and momentum to crush the primer cup hence the steel firing pin provides more reliable ignition.  On the other hand a high mass hammer is more resistant to being moved by the spring and doesn't achieve the same velocity as a lightened hammer so the potential velocity that can be transferred to the firing pin is lower.  At least that's how I see it
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Best two stage trigger? That one is easy. The Geissele is the best I have tested which has been the JP, Chip, KAC, LMT and RRA.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

I was looking for the best duty-grade single stage trigger.
Will I get that with the low mass hammer and JP 3.5 springs? Or am I just looking for problems with hard primers?

The Accuracy Speaks looks like the way to go, is it genuinely a reliable/solid SHTF duty grade FCG?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there anything less expensive than the Accuracy Speaks drop-in comp trigger?
The RRA isn't too bad but I don't like 2-stage triggers and the disconnector pin looks like the weakest link in that FCG.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you are using reduced power springs in a DUTY weapon, you need to have your head examined.  If you want to use them for anything else, thats great, and they certainly will alter the feel.

Reason being?  I'm genuinely looking for edification.  (As you know)...

TS
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!  I am now an edifice....    

TS

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I like my single-stage McCormick with curver trigger on my M4gery... It is crisp, light and very smooth... and makes it go bang every pull. It is the only aftermarket trigger I have tried so YMMV...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
www.geissele.com/detail.aspx?ID=5

LEO Geissele Trigger
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The Geissele is the best

Like buttah - and their customer service is EXCELLENT!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:22:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there anything under $100 besides the RRA 2-stage trigger?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're looking for a single stage trigger, the non-adjustable JARD is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#29]
How reliable is the non-adjustable Jard? I see that instead of a regular trigger spring, it uses a coil spring under the trigger platform. It also uses a separate pin for the disco.

FYI, someone else that has had a RRA 2-stage turn into a single stage: HERE
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top