Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 4:58:42 PM EDT
Going to put together my first lower.  I have read and studied trying to decide which receiver would be best.  Not really concerned with price as I am willing to pay a few more $ for quality.  At first I was thinking of getting an Eagle Arms, I already have Colt and Bushmaster so I was looking for somehting different.  Not that their is anything wrong with Colt or Bushmaster.  After reading many discussions on this site it seems that, Stag, Mega, RRA, and Grizzly are fairly common receivers to site users.  The Stag receivers seem to be highly recommended.  Is their much difference in qaulity in any of these before mentioned receivers and which would you recomend.  P.S. it will be for shooting!  Also I will need a quality lower parts kit?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, Dean
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know what you guys think as well...
are LMT some of the best?

Let us know what to avoid as well
Many thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done 4 Stags with DPMS kits, all have been excellent fit and finish.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Stag all the way!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
MEGA gets my vote.  Can't say enough goods things about them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a E.A. Co. lower I'm building on now.   It is the 4th one I have  built.  I don't even remember where I bought them.  I ordered 5 lowers years ago before my FFL expired.  ..So I guess my post is really useless.  ...sorryhinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been very impressed with the Eagle Arms lowers that I have seen and used.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Gonna use a new CMMG lower for my first build, hopefully I'm picking it up on Sat.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What about LMT????
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Stag and Mega, bolth good choices.
IMO, can't go wrong with Stag, from Eagle Firearms, Fit and finish is great, and Chris and Kendra
are the best.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Stag and Megas are my picks.  In no particular order.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a DS Arms lower and a Lauer lower, both made by LMT, both from Denny.  Both are great.  Good machining, nice BLACK finish.  Everything on them is good to go.  The DSA lower matches to LMT upper I got from CL Tactical perfect.  I used a Bushie lower parts kit, and there were no issues; everyhting fit the lower just right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used and seen pretty much all the above mentioned(minus Eagle).

Stag, Mega, RRA, LMT, Double Star, Bushmaster, DPMS.

Out of all those, I would rate the Double Star above all others in fit and finish.

Stag, LMT both are ok.

RRA has certain problems with certain pins being too tight.

Bushmasters seems too loose(Upper to lower fit)

DPMS and Mega are both pretty nice and I really like their finish.(But the gator grip is useless on the Mega)
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my Stag lower

My Ameetec Arms was very nice too though
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
My vote goes to Mega.  My lower went together perfectly.  I do plan on buying a Stag to try them out as well.  But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mega.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 for Stag. Best Fit and Finish I have ever seen. I would highly recommend these lowers!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Eagle (by Armalite)  and DoubleStar both have very good fit and finish, better than my last Colt (but my older Colt is best of all). Also hear that Superior Arms recievers are very good, but I've never used one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
how about LRB? they are a local business and they make the best M14 recievers in the business... I'm considering building on one of their lowers... has anyone tried one?

www.lrbarms.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My three Stag lowers are the absolute shiznit
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the finish and fit on the MEGA, and the SNSIndustries lowers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I've used Mega, Stinger, Stag and a PWA made by LMT.  I think the Stag was the best as far as fit and finish.  I just ordered another one from this link, because it is an AWESOME deal with the Vltor.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=238706
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#21]
bushie lower parts kit

lowers that i have used and would use again

bushie
dpms
mega
ameetec
double star
essential arms
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The last two builds I used Rock River Arms lowers and lower parts kits. Everthing went really smooth. Got all the parts I needed off the EE board. RRA lowers on back order, You can get the lower parts kits form them however
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm using an Ameetec. I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all your help.  I'm down to deciding between Stag and Mega both are available and seem to be good quality based on your responses.  Some of the others, like my first choice would have been an eagle arms lower but none in stock from what I have seen.  From what info you have provided I don't believe it would be any better than the two that I have choosen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Here is a pic showing 2 of the 3 builds I completed last week; M4 using Ameetec lower, BM A3 upper, BM 14.5" M4 barrel, BM lpk, Colt green lable bolt/carrier group and BM A2 stock; 11.5" Commando using 11.5" BM fluted HBar, older BM lower, BM A2 upper, BM lpk w/ M16 fcg, Colt M16 bolt/carrier, no-name carbine collapsable stock, & rdias. Both ran great this past Saturday, with 450 rounds through each at Pop Dean's Range. Both rifles knocked down bowling pins with regularity at 125 yards using white box Winchester 55gr ball ammo (Q3131).

Also recently completed 2 builds using Bushmaster lowers, but won't use them again, as the rear shelf is no longer mil spec height - a rdias won't fit without modification on the new lowers, and the fit/finish just isn't up to par with the new LMT lowers that are available from DSA.

In regards to a higher quality lower that is slightly more expensive, I'm picking up 2-3 of the new LMT lowers that are being marketed by DSA from my dealer this week and would strongly suggest the same for anyone attempting a build who is looking for the highest quality lower available.

They are reported to be of excellent quality, as one would expect of LMT. I'll report back in the AR15 Discussion Forums when I pick them up and again when the builds are complete (have 3 lpk's on the way from BM - they should be here tomorrow).

Since you asked, there have been reported problems with both Stag and recently manufactured Mega lowers - although I used a Mega lower last summer for a build that went ok. The AR15 Discussion Forums have reported that there may be a problem with the mag wells in the newer MEGA lowers and possible problems with a few MEGA & Stag lowers regarding flaking of the finish.

Personally, I would suggest a qualtiy lpk and like BM. Many have had good luck with DPMS - a search on lpk's is advised before you spend your hard earned money and suffer a migraine if modification of any of the lpk's piecies are needed when attempting your build.

I believe that choosing high quality parts is the key to success in a trouble free build.

I ran across this discussion on the FAL Files regarding AR15 lower receivers just a few minutes ago that has some nice pics & infor and felt it pertinent to include:

AR15 Build Discussion

Best of luck on your efforts,
Clay
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the MEGA. I love mine. And the price is right. I plan on getting another one very soon.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top