Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 10:54:59 AM EDT
I have a Colt 14.5 inch M4 barrel that I want to attach either a Phantom or Vortex to. I try and do as much myself as possible though this sounds like a job that I am going to have to pay someone else to do as I don't have welding equipement and I don't want to overheat the barrel or make it looked screwed up.

Who here offers the best price on this service and will also repark the weld after grinding it down? Does anyone do this for free if I purchase the FH from them? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that BATF recongizes JB Weld as a permanent mounting compound.

Shouldn't be that hard to do yourself
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
ADCO
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
JB WELD isnt recognized by the BATF............ it is a chemical compound. only silver soldering or a weld is your answer. you can braze then silver solder, or hit it with a mig welder. dont use JB WELD, it is non-atf approved.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ADCO

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
ADCO
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ADCO

+4
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
1100 degree Silver Solder and Maapi gas - takes a few minutes, and allows you the opportunity to easily change FH in the future should something more evil become available.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Best place to have a FH Perm. Attached?

On the end of the barrel where the bullet comes out.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
ADCO does a great job with their flash hiders!
They did mine and it really turned out great. I love my Phantom 5C1.

Just be sure to note that if you have them "add" a bayonet lug, it will literally be added to your original FSB with the use of silver sodder. This makes it so that it cannot be used with a real bayonet. This really pissed me off since they do not show or say this on their website. If you want the real deal have them remove and totally replace the FSB.

Also with the Front Sight, they seemed to leave a little of what looked like rust, or some type of orange substance all round my FSB with where is connected with the barrel? Is it really rust or just some dried lubricant?

I totally recomend them for your Flash Hider though. They are an Ohio company and it is good to support your local buisness.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is my understanding that BATF recongizes JB Weld as a permanent mounting compound.

Go slap yourself for offering such advice.

The BATF has NEVER recognized ANY chemical means, the means of permanent attachement have been published, and they include:

Blind pin & weld, 4 equidistant tack welds, hi-temp (1100deg F) silver solder, or a continous weld coverin at least half the circumferance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also with the Front Sight, they seemed to leave a little of what looked like rust, or some type of orange substance all round my FSB with where is connected with the barrel? Is it really rust or just some dried lubricant?

Sounds like they did not entirely clean the park solution from your barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, just wipe with Hoppes Elite and volia? It seems like it is gone when I look at it now. But it will come back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the total cost to have a mini y removed, and a FH perm. installed through ADCO?
Also, do you have to take the barrel off, or can you send the entire upper?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What is the total cost to have a mini y removed, and a FH perm. installed through ADCO?
Also, do you have to take the barrel off, or can you send the entire upper?
Thanks.

Go to their site and look under shop services. There is a break down on prices.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, just wipe with Hoppes Elite and volia? It seems like it is gone when I look at it now. But it will come back.

I believe there is an actual chemical reaction going on that will continue to happen until the parking solution is nuetralized.  A number of people who purchased the first batch of SEAK AK74 rifles from Rapid Fire had problems with this and I believe there is something specific that must be done to stop it. Others here will know better.  You might want to start a new topic to get their attention.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:
It is my understanding that BATF recongizes JB Weld as a permanent mounting compound.[/quote

Go slap yourself for offering such advice.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Wilson Combat will also do it for you for around $70-$80 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
ADCO... ADCO is the shit and they know their biz.

Denny is great too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
KKF- Kurts Kustom Firearms(352) 793-2346  did mine at the shop while I waited. I had the Mil-spec A3FSMS added to my 14.5 Colt M-4 upper and it looks great. See it here:

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/5301.htm

You can send him your upper and have it back in less than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
CMMG or Dennys [Global Tactical Supply].
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
KKF- Kurts Kustom Firearms(352) 793-2346  did mine at the shop while I waited. I had the Mil-spec A3FSMS added to my 14.5 Colt M-4 upper and it looks great. See it here:

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/5301.htm
You can send him your upper and have it back in less than 2 weeks.

made it hot for you all
KKF

+5 for ADCO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top