Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 7:54:53 AM EDT
I'm trying to get in touch w/ my local PD, but they keep routing me to a crime prevention unit that I suspect is one man that seems to be on vacation. :)

The reason I'm concerned is that I live in IL, and more specifically, Morton Grove (yes, the first place in the nation to ban handguns).

This is for a post-ban, if that matters.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard Teknical.

Believe it or not, but the Police or Sheriff's Depts. are not the place to go for your answer. Too many times they don't really know what the law is. Expecially when it includes crazy, confusing gun laws.

Check with you city, county or district attorney. They will know the law and can point out the actual code to you.

You could also ask around at your local gunshops. They likely won't be selling anything they can't. Though some of them may tell you NO when maybe you CAN buy it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
teknical when did this happen and why(like the gun grabbers really need one)?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck, man.

I rank IL third in antigun and anti AR behind CA and NJ.  You guys gotta quit electing those assholes that wear bow ties.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I also live in Illinois, but I live in a village that does not have gun bans.  I agree that Illinois is not far behind CA with their gun laws.  The City of Chicago also has a ban on handgun sales.  For the last couple of years, Chicago has had the highest murder rate in the country.  I wonder why?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I once went to the Sheriff's Office for a CCW form.  They told me (wrongly) that they did not do CCW (though it was state law) but that they would register my handgun there (NOT required by any state or local law).  I told them, no thanks, but I would never register any of my guns, no matter what the law was... only a__holes and Nazis registered guns.  I was asked to leave before the arrested me.

Then we worked to pass a Shall Issue law, and elect a pro-gun governor.  Next time I showed up, they were polite and had the forms.  

So, I had the last laugh.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
First off, thanks for the replies, guys.

I called both the city attorney and crime prevention unit of the local PD, who both gave about the same answers:  that they're not really sure of any law that would limit my ownership.  One of the guys from the PD, though, stated that he thought hi-cap mags were legal to own, but illegal to sell to me.  I was under the impression that this only applied to post-ban high-cap mags (and possibly he was confused)?  The officer knew what an AR-15 was, as he said he used an M16 in the military, but the city attorney didn't know what one was and had to be informed that it's a rifle :).

223spree:  The law was enacted a year before I was even born, so I have very little information about the climate of the community (but if it's anything like it is now, there isn't jack shit going on).

A_Free_Man:  I'm not planning on sticking around too much longer, let alone living here the rest of my life.

Once again, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
http://atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/22edition.htm

Might help you out, good luck
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, moose.  I was wondering what the part that says, "Weapons from which eight or more  shots may be dis-charged by a single function of the firing device..."  Are they talking about full-auto weapons, or do you think they're talking about weapons that can accept >8rd magazines?

I just got off the phone w/ the Illinois State Police and they also didn't know of anything that would restrict my owning an AR15, but when asked about hi-cap mags, they didn't know much for sure and referred to them as "clips".  Hmm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe this will answer all your questions- from the "Hometown" board, under the "Illinois" forum:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=23&t=452[/url]

[8d]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've already read that multiple times, but looking at [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/23rdedition/illinois.pdf[/url] I see "Morton Grove (handguns, weapons from which eight or more  shots  may  be  dis-charged by a single function of the firing device, sawed-off shotguns)" under the section, "The following jurisdictions restrict  the  sale, possession, or receipt of certain weapons:"

It doesn't seem like much of anyone knows what's going on :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I have my answer, from [url]http://www.concealcarry.org/morleyvdaley.htm[/url].

"(l)'Machine gun' means any firearm from which eight or more shots or bullets may be discharged by a single function of the firing device."

I believe that might be a Cook county ordinance, for anyone interested (as opposed to a Morton Grove-only one).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top