Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 3:37:25 PM EST
What would be the best optical configuration for an A2 carbine setup?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:32:48 PM EST
ACOG
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:36:02 PM EST
Depending on what you want to do with your AR there are many different solutions. Here is a pic of mine. Although I have one of the "cheap scopes" on mine it is a very good setup, rock solid and the red dot is right on the end of the front sight post.

Sarge

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:45:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:53:14 AM EST
SgtMike, is that a Tasco mounted on an ARMS 39? That's a weird combination.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:10:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 10:11:07 AM EST by sgtmike]
No Tasco. It is a a $30 BSA RD30 on an ARMS 39A2 mount. The mount has a rail on both the upper and lower section and you can put an optic on either location. The mount is better than putting optics on rails on the handguard and allows you to cowitness. I think this setup has many, many advantages over some of the other setups, especially for what I use it for.

Sarge
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:11:19 AM EST
Aimpoint M2 or a Compact ACOG (TA50-2R to be precise.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:26:05 AM EST
Thanks for helping out a new guy! So, an Aimpoint or ACOG will work with carry handle. How about Eotech? Is there any way I can still use my irons? What is better, on top of the carry handle or the handguards? Advantages and disadvantages of both mounting solutions? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:51:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By CodeSeven:
Thanks for helping out a new guy! So, an Aimpoint or ACOG will work with carry handle.

ACOG ON the carrying handle - Aimpoint in front of the carryhandle using a gooseneck mount.

Both options let you use the iron sights with the optic installed.

How about Eotech? Is there any way I can still use my irons?

Great sight - but better suited for flattops. There are a couple of gooseneck type mounts that will allow you to mount an EOTech in front of the carry handle (and yes you can still use the irons).

What is better, on top of the carry handle or the handguards? Advantages and disadvantages of both mounting solutions? Thanks again.

For a non magnifying sight (Aimpoint/EOTech) they are bets mounted over the handguards using either a gooseneck type mount or a free float rail system. It keeps the reticules inline with the irons and keep that same 2.6" heigh over bore. Allows a trajectory of +/- 2" from the point of aim between 8m to 220m when zeroed at 50y.

If you mount the optic on top of the carry handle you will have a high height over bore (makes for a bad trajectory - not very precise) and no cheek weld (more of a chin weld). This has a limited benefit in the Military where you might be expected to fight with a gas mask and precision is +/- 4" from the point of aim (still good for COM shots on soldiers in CQB - bad for whacking soda cans or watermellons at the range).
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:45:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 12:48:57 PM EST by M4C]

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By CodeSeven:
Thanks for helping out a new guy! So, an Aimpoint or ACOG will work with carry handle.

ACOG ON the carrying handle - Aimpoint in front of the carryhandle using a gooseneck mount.

Both options let you use the iron sights with the optic installed.

How about Eotech? Is there any way I can still use my irons?

Great sight - but better suited for flattops. There are a couple of gooseneck type mounts that will allow you to mount an EOTech in front of the carry handle (and yes you can still use the irons).

What is better, on top of the carry handle or the handguards? Advantages and disadvantages of both mounting solutions? Thanks again.

For a non magnifying sight (Aimpoint/EOTech) they are bets mounted over the handguards using either a gooseneck type mount or a free float rail system. It keeps the reticules inline with the irons and keep that same 2.6" heigh over bore. Allows a trajectory of +/- 2" from the point of aim between 8m to 220m when zeroed at 50y.

If you mount the optic on top of the carry handle you will have a high height over bore (makes for a bad trajectory - not very precise) and no cheek weld (more of a chin weld). This has a limited benefit in the Military where you might be expected to fight with a gas mask and precision is +/- 4" from the point of aim (still good for COM shots on soldiers in CQB - bad for whacking soda cans or watermellons at the range).

I put an Aimpoint ML2 directly over my carry handle using rings and a short rail. I can shoot it fast and comfortable enough but i do realize it's limitations b/c of height over bore is extreme.
So ... I'll just use this setup for fast CQB range shots and go to my Irons (which happily I can see clearly) for distance. Works for me quite well for my needs.

BTW I have tried a compact ACOG and they're excellent for CH mount.

P.S. Hey Forrest I sighted in @ 100m and wasn't sure of best distance... do you think it's still better @ 50m for CH mount??

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:51:41 PM EST
Put a free floating rail on the front and mount an Aimpoint to it. I reccomend Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:35:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4C:
P.S. Hey Forrest I sighted in @ 100m and wasn't sure of best distance... do you think it's still better @ 50m for CH mount??

I think Troy likes it at 100m (compact ACOG on top of the carry handle). Personally I prefer Fight4YourRights 75y method at it approximates the 200m IBSZ fairly well.

Both work - 100m is probably better for targets that are 200M and closer, while the 75y works a little better further out.
Top Top