Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:29 AM EDT
I wanting to free float my AR and it is more for coyotes than anything so I don't need any rails just a place to mount a sling.  I was looking at the YHM free float tube handguard and wondered if there was any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
why not just get one of those cheap knurled freefloats and add a sling stud?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats kinda what I am asking are they all the same or are there some that are too cheap and I should stay away from.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
the yhm tube i think you are talking about is the customizable which has threaded holes in which you could add rails if and where you wanted.

if that is not needed than i do not see the reason to pay close to double of what the basic freefloat tubes cost.

they are all basically the same, only real difference is the look.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Be aware that the plain-jane aluminum FF tubes come in both 1-piece and 2-piece varieties (or 3-piece, if it has a locking ring like the YHM customizable)

In my opinion, the 2-piece models are easier to install in that you don't necessarily need to use a strap wrench, and they are easier to clean under if the rifle gets muddy or wet.

Other than that, a $30 one-piece aluminum (ie Model-1) will work about the same as a $30-45 2-piece (DPMS, Hogue) as a $90 3-piece (ie YHM), or even a $90 1-piece carbon (ie Clark, DPMS)

None are particularly hard to drill and mount a sling stud (but you may want to use a backing nut if its thin material and/or you are exerting tight sling perssure vs. a bipod mount).

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The JP tube will cost more money but is a nice set up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a dpms tube and a couple yhm customizables.  i like the idea of being able to put rails on if need be.  if you get the dpms, make sure it is on tight before you drill.  stay away from the one piece tubes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for all the advice.  So my best bet a a two peice tube.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget the Armalite tube: www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/nm.htm
$90 green or black
Rock solid, easy to install
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top