Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2002 10:38:28 PM EDT
Hi! I have a aimpoint ML-XD that I would like to mount on my M-4, along with a flip-up A2 style rear sight.The M-4 still has the standard front sight so the flip-up must be the correct height for the front sight. What about the height of the mount? The mount that came with the Aimpoint is way to low for use in the M-4 with the standard front sight. It must be a heavy duty/mil spec mount/sight and I'm not concerned about the cost, I just want to do it once and do it correct. So which mount/sight is the best GG&G, Knights, ARMS, other???? Also is a spacer rail a must? Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]www.bowmansbrigade.com/products/tacticalparts/arms/images/arms-22m68.gif[/img]
[b]ARMS #22M68[/b]

ARMS #22M68 comes w/ a spacer (not shown in the photo) to provide vertical clearance. You can even choose a full or half height spacer, depending on the amount of clearance you need. The throw lever mount is [i]really[/i] nice because it's fast & simple, & it retains zero if removed & then re-attached later.

Though it doesn't have a spare battery compartment, it doesn't need one, since Aimpoint makes a double battery module that fits right into the sight's existing battery compartment (photo).

[img]www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=385843[/img]
[b]Aimpoint double battery module[/b]

Its basically an elongated version of the standard battery cap + a metal band that holds 2 batteries. If the a battery should die, unscrew the battery cap, pull the module from the sight's battery housing, flip it around, & reinsert the side w/ the fresh battery.  Screw the cap back on & you're good to go.

The combination of the #22M68 & the double battery module is the way to go, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, use the full spacer and go with a ARMS #40 back up iron sight, heres mine, G, G and G also makes a great mount.

[img]www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=mahabali55&album_id=114607&image_id=0¶m=74758[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the ARMS 22M68 with full spacer and an ARMS 40 rear.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Master_Blaster & MAHABALI,

Thanks for the reply/info. Who has the best price on ARMS componets?

MAHABLI-- great picture-- When your rear sight is used can you sight through the Aimpoint?

Has anyone used either of the Knight's flip up rear sights? How did they work? Ref. Knight's mount that uses a "wing nut" to secure in place, can a person tighten the wing nut enough by hand for the mount to stay secured?

Thanks,
Glen
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.sableco.net/id9.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the ARMS mount, but it does not allow you to forward mount the Aimpoint at all. The firther out the Aimpoint is, the quicker it is to use, the clearer your field of view, the easier it is to shoot with 2 eyes open, the faster you can acquire your targets, etc. Forward mounting offers a lot of advantages. Thats why I like the GG&G Cantilever mount.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the ARMS mount, but it does not allow you to forward mount the Aimpoint at all. The firther out the Aimpoint is, the quicker it is to use, the clearer your field of view, the easier it is to shoot with 2 eyes open, the faster you can acquire your targets, etc. Forward mounting offers a lot of advantages. Thats why I like the GG&G Cantilever mount.
View Quote

Good point, Ive got my ARMS mount as far forward as it will go, its even hanging over the Delta ring... see pic ^

The reason I got that mount is that Im planning on adding a ARMS SIR to my M4-gery, that way all I have to do is take the spacer off and I can mount it as far forward as I want.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If I were putting the Aimpoint on a rail, I would go with the ARMS mount without a doubt. If I were putting it directly to the flat top, the GG&G Cantilever makes more sense for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point, Ive got my ARMS mount as far forward as it will go, its even hanging over the Delta ring... see pic ^

The reason I got that mount is that Im planning on adding a ARMS SIR to my M4-gery, that way all I have to do is take the spacer off and I can mount it as far forward as I want.
View Quote

The GG&G Cantilever [i]will[/i] certainly answer that probelm. Personally , I prefer the SIR, which has a 1913 MIL-STD rail all the way out to the front sight, allowing you to mount (stuff) as far forward as you would reasonably like.

Thumbscrews work well enough, but w/ the ARMS throw lever, there's never a question of it coming loose, because it simply won't.

Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been very happy with my KAC offset mount and KAC 600m BUIS.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I recommend the GG&G Cantilever Mount.
It places the sight right over the Delta Ring (which many find to be optimum), and it has a compartment for an extra battery.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p701aa5527921958e46bf970942ad1fdf/fd06fd82.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Itraded my GG&G away and have regret it ever since. I have the 22m68 and the SIR M , but the GG&G gives you such a solid Lwt.platform.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Im using the knights forward offset mount with thumbscrew and love it. ive never experienced a problem with it working loose and still can be removed/reinstalled without any tools. the thumbscrew/wingnut has a washer behind it to lock it in place.

I used to use the knights 300 meter flip up rear sight but have recently switched to the arms #40 NO comparison here the arms is by far superior standard a2 aperature and the spring loading mechanism works great. If something hits your knights and flips it back down then you have to remove one hand from your rifle and flip it back up. This cannot happen with the arms it will just spring back into place and your ready to go. Also to switch to the long range aperature the arms works just like the standard, but with the knights you have to remove a plastic insert of some kind and that thing always gets lost and then your stuck with just the large hole aperature and nothing else.

my two cents worth anyway
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone any experience comparing the A.R.M.S. #40 with the K.A.C. 600 BUISs?  I believe the former has no elevation adjustment available and the latter works like a micrometer for 200 through 600m adjustments.

O'DubhGhaill
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
KAC 600 has a small aperature only.  Its is not really suited for CQB work its more of a precsion rear sight for a precision rifle IMO.  Its also not spring loaded.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If you look at a cantalever mount, you can see that it will not take much of a wack since there is very little support under the scope as it is just sitting out there with not much under it.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my setup.  ARMS mount is rock solid.

[img]www.coserv.net/~quino/pics/ARm4pre.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Glen-33, how is this for an idea... ARMS #22M68 mounted on one of these...
[img]community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/6/46/70/57464670IkyHIn_ph.jpg[/img]

[url=www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/yhm-9474.asp]Bushmaster Modular Accessories System Rail Extension
[/url]

This 5" Picatinney rail extension works great with our B.M.A.S. Triple mount to offer extra mounting surface for laser light combinations, forward grips, and accessories. Or, when attached to any flat-top upper receiver, optics such as scout style scopes can be mounted, and the extension height is the same as our B.M.A.S. scope risers. Precision machined aircraft aluminum with mil. spec. anodize finish - 5" overall length - mounts with 2 socket head screws.
View Quote

It seems like it would be sturdy & stable enough for hard use, the price is right ($34.95), and it places the Aimpoint in proper "scout" configuration.

I don't know for certain if it would allow an Aimpoint to be properly co-witnessed with the iron sights. It probably would (it increases rise by one half inch.)  You would have to call Bushmaster to be sure.

Got to love the AR15... just when you think that you have all the options covered, a new one pops up!!!

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
That Bushmaster thing looks like a diving board that will bend if it take a slight hit on top plus get cought up in every branch that might come in contact going thu any brush like the cantalever does.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I like your set-up as well, FALARAK.  Right now I have the same Aimpoint/22M68 mounted on the RAS, just a bit forward of the rearmost top address; I am able to keep the A3 handle in place simultaneously, while the Aimpoint almost touches the front of the handle.  I'm planning an AN/PVS-14 mount for the receiver, however, and will be shopping for a BUIS I can use with it.  What type of rear sight/BUIS do you have there -- GG&G?  Thanks in advance.

O'DubhGhaill
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
FALARAK's BUIS is a ARMS #40.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top