Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 3:59:29 PM EDT
A friend & I are considering getting in on the group buy for the Aimpoint M3 sights & wanted some opinions as far as the best mounts for them & why? I prefer input from current or past owners of Aimpoints as I don't want to spend the $$$ for something based on opinion without substantiation!

Thanks  VLODPG
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Ha!  I'll be the first one for a change

LaRue

I have a KAC offset mount, but I like quick detach.  ARMS mounts are great too, the little steel pad is kind of annoying, so my vote goes to LaRue.  Have two presently, one standard height, the other short (for other weapons).
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ARMS mounts are great too, the little steel pad is kind of annoying,

Duffy, I'm not trying to be a jerk but can you tell what's annoying about the little steel pad in a few sentences or direct me to a thread that you know of that explains this. I believe I am missing something here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue cantilever:

This way you will have the optimal location for your Aimpoint PLUS the ability to slap on the 3x Magnifier (prefect match for the M3’s 2MOA dot) when or IF the price ever becomes reasonable!.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The steel pad has its purpose to be sure, it sits in between the throw lever actuated "wheel" (for lack of a better term) and the under rail surface.  The pad sits loose in that it's not under spring tension, so when you put the mount on, you have to make sure the pad is pushed towards the outer rail or the mount will not properly seat on the rails because it's in the way.
LaRue's mount does not have the pad so there's nothing to push aside first.  On the other hand, LaRue's "wheel" comes directly in contact with the rail's under side, sometimes the friction can cause wear on the finish as it did mine.  But in my case, I'd be the first to say the B&T mount is kind of crappy

LaRue on left, ARMS 19S on right.  Note the steel pad is on the "inside" position and will need to be pushed towards the right before being put on a weapon again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent. Thank you for the response Duffy. I've got ARMS #22M68 mounts for both my Aimpoints and a #19S for my TA-31 and never had a problem with any of the mounts. Then again, I don't take them on of off very often. I know the Larue mounts are considered the best right now but I had to stop trying to keep up with the Jones. It was eating up all my disposable income. However, if I get another Aimpoint, I will get a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

...but I had to stop trying to keep up with the Jones. It was eating up all my disposable income.

Quick, Moderators, lock this guys account!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would I think you're jerk for asking a question?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why would I think you're jerk for asking a question?

Just me being careful that's all. Sometimes folks (not you) take things the wrong way so whenever I question someone's opinion (the ARMS plate never bothered me) on something I make sure they know I'm not trying to be a jerk, that's all. And thanks for the extra pics. That makes it clear as crystal.

And do I spy an Aimpoint 3X magnifier on the left in the second pic?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
hehe, you saw the pine apple grenade rubber armor
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I just upgraded from an ARMS #22M68 and cantilever spacer to a LaRue Cantilever mount.  I'm extremely impressed and glad I made the switch.  I like the increased height, the adjustable throw lever is a dream come true (ARMS was a little loose on my upper), and the battery storage compartment is a great extra.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pics Duffy! I heard Larue the the shitz & I was going to go with a Eotech due to the cost factor & built in mount. Maybe when i have the money I'll get both!
BTW, If you know,What mount the the Govt use & how does it compare to the Larue mounts?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
LaRue
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#13]
VLODPG are you talking about Aimpoint's own mount?  I have no first hand experience with it, I never considered it because it's not as easy and fast to attach/detach as a throw lever design.  I've read that it doesn't return to zero, or will work itself loose, but let those with hands on experience enlightne us
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's the LaRue Cantilever

Here's an ARMS 22M68 with Cantilever spacer

Having both, I prefer the LaRue.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Thx Lancelot! BTW, is that a Larue forend? How do you like that? Recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]
LaRue 7.0 on the M4. YHM two piece non-FF on the Dissy.

LaRue is the way to go. Can't say enough good things about LaRue products, or about LaRue the man. Great customer service.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a chance to look at a aimpoint this weekend w/4moa dot & i thought it was hard to visually pick up the dot! Unfortunately, it was not in a mount on a gun. I am wondering if that could have benn a factor in my difficulty in viewing with it! I was considering going with the 2moa site but now I don't know! User input please!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#19]
MSTN is that a normal or a high mount for the aimpoint in that second picture.  i ask because that is the exact build i am going to do the LMT buis and the aimpoint.  also how does that set up work for ya??? also i love the stocks you have on both of those, i checked your web site and didnt see what they were could ya fill me in on those also.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a nomal height LaRue mount, like this one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive heard that the larue ring being top to bottom interfered with the aimpoint condom on the m3 series, can anyone confirm or deny?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top