Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/1/2004 6:30:10 PM EDT
Last week I sighted in at 25 Yards at an indoor range. Today at 100 yards I was 10" high
My AR is a 16" M4 with Arms #40 and an EOTECH. I have read a couple of differant methods to sight in.
Help?
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2004 6:57:53 PM EDT by POOR_MAN]
Nifty little trick I learned, which works best on bolt actions is to dissasemble your gun and point your barrel (while in a vise) at a target some ways off (100yrds) then once its centered on target line your sight up with target, that will get you on the paper. (most of the time)

A poor man's bore sight!

but since your already on paper, you can put your gun in a vise an fire it at a target, then move your sight where bullet hit. that will get you even closer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 9:28:35 PM EDT
Use the IBZ method.

instructions
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:57:14 AM EDT
The method described in the IBZ method is focused on the adjustment of A2 sights. I have a flattop M4 with Arms #40 sights.
I know the same results can be attained with my sight set up also but the method of adjustment on the rifle will be differant???
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:26:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:06:15 AM EDT
Troy,

I don't want to hijack this thread but I think this is somewhat applicable to the general issue:

I have an ARMS #40 with an XS Sights (Ashley Outdoors) same-plane aperture installed. How does that change the zeroing procedure?

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:51:53 AM EDT
CMOS.
Use the small aperture and zero at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 12:04:18 PM EDT
Forest, will that give me a 50/250 yard zero?

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 3:16:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 4:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2004 4:37:02 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Originally Posted By Boog:
Use the IBZ method.

instructions

This link is good advise, its simple and easy to follow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:16:06 PM EDT
Troy- if one has a removable carry handle, do you still have to move it down 2 clicks, or is it more?

I never knew about the difference in plane making that big of a deal.

I just got new sights for my M4, so I have to re-zero it anyways. It has a stand alone rear sight from bushy which is identical to the removable carry handle.

How many clicks on the wheel do I lower the rear sight to put the small hole in line with the big one?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2004 5:22:05 PM EDT by Marksman14]
Argh. Can you explain this to me now? At the risk of being a major PITA, I am now TOTALLY confused about everything. I have my sight set to bottom out at the proper amount of clicks (bushmaster detach, 6/3, set to bottom out at 4 clicks past 6/3).

Where to I put the rear sight to zero, which hole do I use to zero, and damnit...what should I do for normal shooting?

Sorry, its finals week. I've crammed so much into my brain, and this is just throwing it over the edge...

Scott
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:06:38 AM EDT
aww come on guys.

Help out a mentally challenged over-worked guy taking finals.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2004 10:45:40 AM EDT by Forest]

Originally Posted By CMOS:
Forest, will that give me a 50/250 yard zero?

CMOS

50y / 200M zero (which works out to about 218 yards)

Troy- if one has a removable carry handle, do you still have to move it down 2 clicks, or is it more?

Its usually more - please READ the article at the link mentioned above it covers how you can tell if your removable handle needs 4 clicks instead of 2. Specifically line #6 (1).

How many clicks on the wheel do I lower the rear sight to put the small hole in line with the big one?

*Generally* its 2 clicks. But it depends on which type of elevation wheel you have (the 1moa version or the 1/2 moa version) and which aperture you have (AO sights noted 3 different units had 3 different results - see the FAQ #10 on their site).

Where to I put the rear sight to zero, which hole do I use to zero, and damnit...what should I do for normal shooting?

Your questions are answered in the article at the above link in this order

Where to I put the rear sight to zero Line #5
which hole do I use to zero Line #6 (2)
what should I do for normal shooting? Line #8 (ok I'll give this one to you, keep it bottomed out and use the small aperture).
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:09:54 PM EDT
I pretty much have it all figured out, except the clicks are throwing me off.

I know that mine is the 1/2 click...so I have it bottomed out at 6/3-4, as I was instructed.

1-Set it at bottom, small aperture, and zero the weapon.

Got that part just fine.

2- The only real problem I am having is this- In order to put the LARGE apeture on the same plane that the small one was at when it was bottomed out, AND considering that I have a 1/2 click detachable carry handle, do I move the sight up 2 clicks or 4 clicks (which would put it back at 6/3).

Since most of my shooting is done with the large hole, I just need to know how many clicks/where the elevation tower should be so that the point of aim is on the same plane as when it was when I did my initial zero with the small apeture bottomed out.

I understand everything except for that.

When they start talking about the different numbers of clicks, I sorta lose track if they're talking about full moa clicks or 1/2 moa clicks.

Thats all...

*I asked the rest simply to make sure I was doing it right*
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:26:53 PM EDT
To use the large apiture set the sight at 6/3. This provides the same trajectory as 6/3-4 with the small apiture.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:02:10 PM EDT
Is there a good AR15 book on the market that explains in detail the A2 sight system?

Sounds like this would be a good investment. I know I'd like to better understand all this.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:08:36 PM EDT
Gun-Addict- thats what I thought, but I wasnt sure.

Thanks for clearing that up.

In the meantime I emailed the source himself, Colonel Santose. Talk about a wonderful guy. He cleared everything up for me.

CMOS, I agree. However, with this zero, it really is simple. pretty cool stuff.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:33:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CMOS:
Is there a good AR15 book on the market that explains in detail the A2 sight system?

CMOS,
What specifically are you looking for or have questions on?

The -10 gives a nice overview, but I get the feeling you are looking for something more.

Marksman - glad its all clear now, the Col. is the Man on this subject.

-Forest
Top Top