Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2004 8:36:58 PM EDT
I'm in the process of building my first AR, and I've got a few questions regarding proper cleaning. I've always used my Dad's cleaning stuff, so all we ever use is the old school Hoppe's #9 or Remington stuff.

However, since I've gotten serious about this AR, I've read about BF CLP, Kroil, FP-10, Sweets 7.62, etc., etc., etc. I want to step up to some serious products that will actually do a good job. I'me going to buy a coated one-piece rod, bore guide, chamber brush, etc., so all that's left for me to figure out is lube and cleaning solvents.

I read the thread on BF CLP not being as good as it used to, but then again, I've had it recommended to me a few times. I don't know a thing about Kroil or FR-10, other than the fact that they're out there. And I've heard that Sweet's 7.62 is a great copper fouling remover (which will come in hand). I need whatever I buy to be useful in all my firearms (shotgun, bolt-action rifles, and handguns, plus the AR).

I'll have to see if I can dig anything else up regarding this matter (perhaps over at TFL?), but any comments would be great. I live in AZ, so I'm concerned with lubes attracting too much dirt or running in the heat. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The best CLP out there in my opinion is the Firepower FP-10 hands down,particularly as a lube and protectant.
My other all time favorite lube/protectant is Mil-comm's TW-25B and MC-2500.
Break Free works also but takes a third place in my book...not as good of a lube or protectant as the Mil-comm or FP-10 IMHO.
There is nothing wrong with Hoppe's#9 for normal cleaning of carbon and powder fouling.It cleans a bit slower than some of the others but its completely safe for the weapon.It will also remove copper if allowed the time to work.Use it all the time and always have.
For a copper solvent I use Sweet's 7.62 or BoreTech Benchrest Blend.

Here's little reading on the FP-10:
forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=22515&page=2&pp=25&highlight=fp-10+polymers

pub13.ezboard.com/bfirepowerfp10forum

www.fp10.com

And Mil-comm:
www.mil-comm.com/
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweets 7.62 WILL pit the barrel if left in for more than 15 minutes or so.  I know people who it's happened to.  I use Hoppe's Copper Solvent and it works excellent.  I highly reccomend it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
yfs,

"Pit the barrel"?

Sorry man, but it will take some other influences to do so.

"Ammonia cracking" will occur after some rather extended usage bit pitting ain't a problem.

Other influences such as nitiriding and heat/errosion are more damaging than simple exposure to a light oxidizer such as Sweets, and are present in every rifle bore that gets fired.

Sweets is safe if used within limits, and if after 15min and pits form, the barrel was junk to begin with.

S-28
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top