Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/22/2012 7:00:05 AM EST
I already have Noveske lowers put aside and was wondering how you guys rank the others in desireability? These would be all stripped lowers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:05:17 AM EST
An in spec forged lower is an in spec forged lower. Pick a rollmark that you like.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:06:59 AM EST
I'll take Mega Gator over Noveske.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:41 AM EST
The Mega and Seekins billet lowers are real solid.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:21:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 7:22:36 AM EST by SERVED_USMC]
Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Same here. The last 2 builds I completed were on MEGA billet lowers and currently have another one waiting on paperwork so I can SBR it. Also have 2 of their forged lowers on the shelf waiting for me to make up my mind on what they will be turned in to.

I have, not once, been disappointed with their quality.

ETA: I usually pair them with a Rainier upper minus the forward assist. Solid combo if you are looking to build something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:32:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By Merkel:
I already have Noveske lowers put aside and was wondering how you guys rank the others in desireability? These would be all stripped lowers.

doesnt matter unless you dig on a roll mark
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:33:39 AM EST
I'd jump over 1,000,000 lowers of any brand to get to one arfcom billet lower. I have a couple and they exceed the quality of anything else that I have personal experience with with the exception of KA. Speaking of MEGA, I recently had to do fit the ambi bolt release transfer bar on one. Apparently, they don't quite have it "nailed down" yet. Looked ok and worked fine after I tuned it, but pales in comparison to the arfcom lowers. The flared noveske lowers are gorgeous, but no full ambi controls kind of chops it down a couple of notches, IMO. If it was availble full ambi, I'd probably get a couple. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and many of us have differing desires when it comes to form and function in a lower. Get what you like.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:30 AM EST
I have gone to all-Colt lowers. They are generally more than other lowers and you will rarely find them stripped. I have finally decided to quit chasing a spec and just go ahead and buy the spec.

Just my $.02 and I know not everyone feels the same. I am shooting for authenticity where possible, thereby avoiding clones, which the vast majority of the AR market is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:01:39 AM EST
I personally never viewed Mega as a premier brand but I am not a AR guru. What makes Mega good compared to brands you hear all the time for making quality factory rifles like Noveske, LMT, Colt ect?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:05:34 AM EST
I have a mega gator lower. By far My favorite.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:10:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By regaberto:

Wouldn't a Noveske or others be more desired due to the quality of their rifles? I just never hear Mega as a top tier AR maker. Please educate me anyone?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:18:14 AM EST

Wouldn't a Noveske or others be more desired due to the quality of their rifles? I just never hear Mega as a top tier AR maker. Please educate me anyone?

If you handle a Mega lower, you'll see why their quality is second to none.

I've got DD, Seekins, BCM and Noveske lowers on all my complete rifles.

If I were to build a frankengun, I'd go Mega.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:20:34 AM EST
The only out of spec lower I ever had was a Noveske. Overrated really.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:00:41 AM EST
AXTS.

I plan to get an ADAC-F, and maybe an AX-556 lower if I can swing it.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:08:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
I have gone to all-Colt lowers. They are generally more than other lowers and you will rarely find them stripped. I have finally decided to quit chasing a spec and just go ahead and buy the spec.

Just my $.02 and I know not everyone feels the same. I am shooting for authenticity where possible, thereby avoiding clones, which the vast majority of the AR market is.

like colt is? Armalite amirite?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:18:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

doesnt matter unless you dig on a roll mark

I knew there was another reason I loved you.

In most cases lowers are lowers. I had one stag in like 2006ish that didn't have a buffer retaining detent hole, but other than they've all been the same.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:22:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 9:24:36 AM EST by Augee]
Originally Posted By Rocksarge:
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

like colt is? Armalite amirite?

No.

ArmaLite of Hollywood, a division of Fairchild developed the direct gas impingement system and a handful of prototypes.

They sold the patents and prototypes to Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company in 1959.

Colt developed from a handful of hand built prototypes a viable production weapon that has endured for over fifty years of combat service, and holds as its intellectual property the technical data package (TDP), otherwise known as "the specs" for the AR15, M16, and M4. Only companies that pay a licensing fee to Colt to produce anything based on it, and are typically only allowed to manufacture for government consumption.

The ArmaLite division was liquidated by Fairchild, sold overseas to be a division of Elisco Tool in the Philippines, and went bankrupt until the owner of Eagle Arms and former Army Ordnance Officer purchased the name and assets, and re-branded Eagle Arms.

No iteration of ArmaLite, whether of Hollywood, Elisco, or Geneseo has *ever* manufactured a single AR15 for serial production.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:29:30 AM EST

I've always thought a lower was a lower. Rollmark is nice gator grip is awesome and the feel and look is clean. For 99 bucks it's a awesome piece for the price.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:14:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 10:16:46 AM EST by ricochet7]
Noveske receivered rifles sell quickly, as do Colt. Most people buy by name recognition and Noveske is recognized by many as quality. I will not sell my Noveske rifles, but my buddy says they bring a premium at shows.
I continue buying their receivers, but find many build as well. Aero Precision builds good as others but have not been as quick to sell at gun shows. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:07:09 AM EST

I doubt you've heard of them being a bottom tier maker either. Relatively small shop, so they don't have nearly as many lowers out there as Noveske, Colt, etc do. They make quality gear known for it's exceptional finish and fancy looks. I like my Mega receivers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:42:50 AM EST
As long as the receiver is made correctly I could care less what brand it is. As long as it does not have a drawing of a penis or two on it.

I would not give over $100 for any receiver whether it is a noveske, colt, or billy bobs machine shop down the road. A functional new receiver is a functional new receiver.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:44:29 AM EST
JD machine in San Diego makes an awesome lower. Really well done
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:48:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By mvician:
An in spec forged lower is an in spec forged lower. Pick a rollmark that you like.

Agreed. The advent of all the fancy lowers is largely a marketing gimmick, although some do offer features legitimately useful to some (ambi mag release, etc.).
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:50:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By mvician:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:50:56 AM EST

Resale will be higher due to suckers paying for the name. But in technical terms, most companies manage not to fuck up lowers. If it's forged 7075T6 and everything is machined properly, brand is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:13:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 12:14:26 PM EST by AzNooB]
My Noveske Gen2 is my sexiest looking lower, but also my most useless lower. It doesn't accept SF 60 rounders nor will it accept Magpul M3 Pmags. If I had known that before buying it, I would have saved the $50 for a Noveske Gen1 and still would have gotten the cool rollmark. It has gone to safe queen duty while I put my KAC uppers on my PSA lowers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:18:35 PM EST
SR15 lower.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:24:06 PM EST

I think I see where you are going with this, you are stocking up on lowers and then if a ban hits you plan on reselling for profit.

First of all, I personally think you are wasting your money and at the same time driving up prices for the rest of us by increasing demand, so thanks for that.

A stripped lower is a stripped lower. There is no "quality" difference between a Noveske lower and a PSA lower. There might be minor finish differences, maybe more flashing has been cleaned off and there are no handling marks on it but in a functional equation they all work the same. Your Noveske lower will not make a rifle better or more accurate or more reliable.

Any quality difference and any increased value is purely going to be decided by demand and subjective value to the person you are selling to. You can sell it to a Noveske fanboy who can't find one anywhere else for a significant mark up but if you tried to sell it to someone like me who knows better or doesn't care about the rollmark on the side you would end up probably be losing money.

Investments like that are a gamble.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:31:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By durabo:

I think I see where you are going with this, you are stocking up on lowers and then if a ban hits you plan on reselling for profit.

First of all, I personally think you are wasting your money and at the same time driving up prices for the rest of us by increasing demand, so thanks for that.

A stripped lower is a stripped lower. There is no "quality" difference between a Noveske lower and a PSA lower. There might be minor finish differences, maybe more flashing has been cleaned off and there are no handling marks on it but in a functional equation they all work the same. Your Noveske lower will not make a rifle better or more accurate or more reliable.

Any quality difference and any increased value is purely going to be decided by demand and subjective value to the person you are selling to. You can sell it to a Noveske fanboy who can't find one anywhere else for a significant mark up but if you tried to sell it to someone like me who knows better or doesn't care about the rollmark on the side you would end up probably be losing money.

Investments like that are a gamble.

Great post
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:38:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 12:39:45 PM EST by timmay123]
they are all the same, if they werent no parts would fit and the lower wouldnt work. You can buy plastic junk ones like plumb crazy or the plastic bushmaster, but all the forged lowers are built to the exact size/shape as needed so it isnt going to matter. If you like to have a "hey everybody look at me!" rifle then buy a Noveske gen2, or a POF or something similar. If you want a rifle to shoot, not a barbie doll rifle that belongs behind a glass showcase, then dont spend the wasted money on the overpriced receivers like Colt, Noveske..etc
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:46:14 PM EST
"A lower is a lower is a lower". For a forged lower, anything over $100 and you're just paying for the name. Which I have no problem with. There's a few lowers I would pay a little extra for, just because I like the roll-marks. But I fully understand that I'm not getting anything that a $60 lower doesn't have, functionally.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:49:15 AM EST
Colt.

For all the reasons already explained in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:47:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By Daekwan:
Colt.

The only rational reason is 'fanboy'

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:14:41 AM EST
I've built on LMT, Bushmaster, DPMS, and most recently PSA. My favorite was the DPMS because it had the nicest finish. The PSA was only $69.00. All were the same. After a good trigger, tha accuracy is in the upper. Going forward I'll buy the cheapest one from one of the major brands and invest the savings in quality components.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:15:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By AR15fan:

This. All my lowers are Mega, and it shall always be that way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:18:15 AM EST
I personally never viewed Mega as a premier brand but I am not a AR guru. What makes Mega good compared to brands you hear all the time for making quality factory rifles like Noveske, LMT, Colt ect?

Their machinists are second to none. They had a few problems with the ambi billet lowers, and these were 100% the result of outsourcing some pins and screws to DPMS and getting junk in return.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:18:53 AM EST
I went with an Armalite the last time;

Good quality, and the roll marks were not gay.

Also, fire control marks are simple.. Not some HK pictogram
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:18:59 AM EST

Mega doesn't make complete rifles, that's why they're not a "top tier AR maker". Because they're not an AR maker.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:31:23 AM EST
I've got all sorts of lowers on my rifles,and they all do what they are made to do just fine.

The finish on the Essential Arms is nicer then some of the others.

I don't have any billet lowers.Just can't seem to find the need for one when the conventional ones work the same for half the price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:41:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By par3:
Originally Posted By Daekwan:
Colt.

The only rational reason is 'fanboy'

No.2 of the "10 best combat rifles of all time" ... and still going, If that's not rational enough for you, get an AK.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:25:46 AM EST
I have Palmetto, Charles Daley, and S&W. I like the S&W the most but they all are essentially the same. People who pay more than 100-120 are just paying to say "HEY LOOK AT ME" thats it. There are lowers that cost more with functional differences i.e. ambi controls were they do justify the cost. But on the whole lowers like Noveske were you are paying out the ass, its just for range show. thats it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:36:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 8:41:59 AM EST by Kilroytheknifesnob]
OP (and others), don't judge products by the brand name on it. Typically, all lowers are very similar. You Colt fanboys are silly if you think you're getting anything different from the cheaper lowers out there. You're just paying more for the name, you rifle will not work any better.

That said, MEGA makes the best lowers I've seen, and the ambi bolt release is nice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:38:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 8:38:44 AM EST by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:34:23 AM EST
I am running all Noveske complete riles and also have two stripped Gen2 Noveke lowers as well put side. After all the posts it seems all of them really are the same with the exception of roll marks. It also seems a lot like Mega for finish only too.

Knowing I am running all Noveske now should I just add more Noveke lowers to the stash or change it up a little? I don't plan on buying to sell but I would like to have lowers that will sell quick should something financially ever require me to do so. I would like to add about four more to the stable and As far as costing I can get any brand at dealer cost if that matters when you suggest a brand.

Thx in advance!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:52:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 11:52:11 AM EST by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:33:37 PM EST
Mega Arms makes some of the nicest receivers that are no better than anyone else's that I've ever seen. :) If you want the same nice finish but with a cooler rollmark and front grip, sign up to get notified about the Rainier Arms branded lowers that Mega makes. They sell out of their production runs very quickly, so you have to jump on them fast.

As an aside, Rainier Arms is also a company that just does it right.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:36:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By AzNooB:
My Noveske Gen2 is my sexiest looking lower, but also my most useless lower. It doesn't accept SF 60 rounders nor will it accept Magpul M3 Pmags. If I had known that before buying it, I would have saved the $50 for a Noveske Gen1 and still would have gotten the cool rollmark. It has gone to safe queen duty while I put my KAC uppers on my PSA lowers.

Just FYI, the "revised" Gen 2's will accept the new M3 mags. According to Todd from Noveske on a different forum, serial numbers 4800 and up will work with the new mags. Sucks for me because my serial number is in the 900's.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:29:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Augee:
AXTS.

I plan to get an ADAC-F, and maybe an AX-556 lower if I can swing it.

~Augee

This. Very nice ambi lower. The DD is also nice but not as nice as the Noveske IMHO.
Top Top