Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 3/6/2010 9:36:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2010 9:43:18 AM EDT by tlwest1986]
I am waiting on my DD handguard to arrive and I will be finished with my first build(which is also my first ar period).  I want to purchase a top of the line optic for this gun, since the rest is of the gun is as well.  I am, however, going to buy some iron sights for it first and do some more researching on a piece of glass(any suggestions let me know).  The main reason for this post is I am curious to What are some of the best sights you can buy?  After I get my optic they will be backup sights, but I also may switch them to a different gun on down the road.  I was looking at the Troy tritium sight set and the KAS sights.  Are there any other really good sights out there that I am unaware of and should be?
I am unsure if spending the extras money on the tritium sights are worth the extra money(compared to the regular sights) since I have never used sights like that at night.  I was also trying to decide between the regular Troy backsight and the DOA Troy backsight(with a diamond peephole) which allows you to shoot out to 500 yards.  What is up with the two peepholes on the regular sight?  Is it just a smaller hole for a more precise shots or does it allow for longer shots as well?  Does the diamond peephole really allow you to make faster shots compared to the circle?

I know this is a lot of info, but please help this newb out! Thanks for your advice in advance!

Also does anyone know where you can get a DD wrench that is actually in stock??
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:51:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2010 9:51:42 AM EDT by ArmedPete]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:51:27 AM EDT
Troy, non diamond is the way to go IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:55:46 AM EDT
I'm wanting to put a Matech on my A4 clone
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:27:08 AM EDT
i just bought troy non diamond front trit only on mine thats the way i run my carry pistol too so im gonna try it out on the rifle
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 12:29:14 PM EDT
Another vote for Troy.  I use the standard flip-up rear with the HK-style flip-up front, and they're excellent.  I previously had MagPul MBUS sights on the gun, and while I was quite satisfied with them, they wouldn't fit under my scope, and the Troy's are considerably nicer (they better be, considering the price!)
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 1:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2010 1:11:08 PM EDT by tlwest1986]
Originally Posted By thealmightysam:
Another vote for Troy.  I use the standard flip-up rear with the HK-style flip-up front, and they're excellent.  I previously had MagPul MBUS sights on the gun, and while I was quite satisfied with them, they wouldn't fit under my scope, and the Troy's are considerably nicer (they better be, considering the price!)

I am about 99% sold on Troy.  I think I am going to go with the m4 front site instead of the HK.  I don't see too many diamond shaped back sights so I might as well go with the round peephole.  I also want to spend the extra money(bout 50-60$) on the tritiums, but I probably will just end up going with the standard as well!  Larue has the combo for 200$, which ain't bad.

THANKS GUYS!!

I am also thinking about using the IOR VALDADA 1.5-8x26 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope for optic......thoughts??

http://swfa.com/IOR-15-8x26-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P6757.aspx

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 1:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2010 1:16:24 PM EDT by Mccray]
+1 for Troy. just make sure you use blue( Removable 242)locktight  when you mount it. They can get loose from recoil like any other sight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:03:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedPete:

Troy, non diamond is the way to go IMHO.

Why not the diamond?

I'm looking at  these and it seems like a good idea. Can you tell someting negative about the diamond apurture?
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:05:42 PM EDT
Troy!  

I prefer the standard apeture over the diamond as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:31:59 PM EDT
I just order some LaRue/Troy sights and look forward to getting them in.  Like stated above for the price they better be good sights.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2010 6:55:56 PM EDT by Overton-AR]
The Troy sights are excellent.  As for aperture choice, pick what works for you.  I prefer the standard rear with the HK front.  I do have both M4 and HK fronts, but I prefer the HK.  The sights do indeed need to be loctited in place.  As stated before, use the BLUE and not the RED.  

I have them on all four of these........

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:59:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2010 8:59:48 AM EDT by tlwest1986]
overton-ar those are some nice set ups you have there.  I can't wait till mine is finished so I can show that bad boy off.  The only thing I am a little unhappy about with my build is that Daniel Defense moved back the release date for the Omega X Rifle version.  However, with the FSP version so cheap right now I am going to just pick one of those up and swap it out when the rifle version comes out.  I know it will looke funning seeing how I have a Noveske barrel with there low profile gas block and I will get questions on why there is a big hole for no reason, but I can probably resale it later and get my money back.  

also overton-ar I have never looked thru the hk version.  Does the round parts on the front site show up in the back peepsight on your 16" when shooting or are they out of view? and what kind of lower receiver is that?

Does anyone know why BCM and Midway lowered the price on them?  Midway did not say anything about them being on sale.  DD did not say they are stopping that line and Rainier said they just cut there price to compete....I wonder...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2010 6:55:23 PM EDT by Overton-AR]
Originally Posted By tlwest1986:
overton-ar those are some nice set ups you have there.  I can't wait till mine is finished so I can show that bad boy off.  The only thing I am a little unhappy about with my build is that Daniel Defense moved back the release date for the Omega X Rifle version.  However, with the FSP version so cheap right now I am going to just pick one of those up and swap it out when the rifle version comes out.  I know it will looke funning seeing how I have a Noveske barrel with there low profile gas block and I will get questions on why there is a big hole for no reason, but I can probably resale it later and get my money back.  

also overton-ar I have never looked thru the hk version.  Does the round parts on the front site show up in the back peepsight on your 16" when shooting or are they out of view? and what kind of lower receiver is that?

Does anyone know why BCM and Midway lowered the price on them?  Midway did not say anything about them being on sale.  DD did not say they are stopping that line and Rainier said they just cut there price to compete....I wonder...

Thanks for the compliments.  I really enjoy building my rifles the way I like them.  My lowers on my black guns are all Tactical Innovations.  The lower on the FDE gun is a Bushmaster.

When using the close range aperture "big hole" the HK circle is in full view.  When using the long range "small hole" aperture, it is not.  This will change slightly on where you mount them on the rail.  I have a full length 12" rail on mine, so it will be slightly different than the normal 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:26:49 AM EDT
Thanks overton.  I am going with the 12" rail as well.  

I just recieved an LMT extrension tube from Op.Parts.  I thought this would fix the problem and it is doing the same thing as the DSA.  Now I wasted 45$, but oh well.  I will have a tube for my next build.  The stock is getting sent to Magpul.

Thanks everyone for the help! ar15.com has been the biggest help for this build and I would like to thank everyone that helps out the people still learning!!!
Top Top