Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 9:34:22 PM EDT
Which surefire is their best handheld light?

I want one with the rubber grommet for use with a handgun, a pocket clip, and the hard anodized finish.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like your are in the market for Surefire M2 or if you  can afford the extra cost I would recommend M3 only about 2" longer but what a difference hope that helped
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Have narrowed it down to these two, which both appear to have the features I want:

M2 Millenium Centurian

[img]http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/images/M2.jpg[/img] $134.95 from AZGunnrunners ( - 10% discount)

or C2 Centurian

[img]http://www.quanticoarms.com/surefire/graphics/c2centurion.jpg[/img] $95.00 from Quantico Arms (and comes with a free T-shirt).
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the M2, it is, IMHO, the most rugged, best GP light they make. The shock isolated bezel on the M2 is a feature you never need until the day you do. The C2 is a good choice, but the M2 is a more feature rich and rugged design.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the larger bezel of the M2 focus the light into a tighter spot than the C2?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Would the M2 work in an under barrel/bayonet lug mount?

Big Al
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The M2's shock isolated bezel has the reflector deeper within the bezel compared to the everyday C2/6P etc bezel. What this means is the outer edge of the surround beam is more defined and the total beam area is smaller. The up shot is that the amount of light is pretty much the same with the surround beam of the M2 being a bit smaller but brighter.

On a white wall I could easily tell the difference. In use I would have a far harder time.

I'm a big fan of the G2Z Nitrolon (polymer) CombatLight. It's very tough (perhaps as tough as the M2), very light-weight and has all the features (expect a PocketClip).

The M2 is a fantastic illumination tool. I personally carried it for a long time before the E2 came out. I'm now carrying the L4 after carrying the A2.

If you're wanting to carry a flashlight all the time in civi clothes then I've found that the thin models with PocketClips are the best for clipping inside your pants pocket. If I'm wearing Royal Robbins 5.11's then I can carry the M2 or D3 like this - we're talking bulkier clothing then a suit.

The light you ask for is the M2 but I suggest you try one out to make sure it isn't too large for everyday carry.

Al
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Having both, I would pick the C2.

The C2 is less bulky, less expensive, and is just as bright as the M2M.

The M2M has the pyrex lens with is braggable.

I have the 120L bulb/lens assmby for the M2M. I'm not sure if the C2 has that option. I never use the 120L unit anyway.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the G2Z Nitrolon (polymer) CombatLight. It's very tough (perhaps as tough as the M2), very light-weight and has all the features (expect a PocketClip)
View Quote

I have the G2Z, it's my primary flashlight for uniformed use. I want something for plain clothes use though, hense the pocket clip requirement. (Plain clothes for me is Jeans or Royal Robbins, not a suit & tie...) Fro suit & tie I use an E1.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The L4 has the Z57 Click switch TailCap. This TailCap is being phased onto the E1e and E2e models.

The Z48 is the Click switch TailCap for the C2-HA / C3-HA / M2 / M3 / M3T / M4
The Z48 is HA and based on the SW02 Click switch TailCap for the Millennium Universal WeaponLights.

The Z57 is the Click switch for the "Executive" Series bodies.

Just to make matters more interesting, the Z58 (HA) will be a new smaller Click switch TailCap for the C2-HA / C3-HA / M2 / M3 / M3T / M4

While I'm correcting people, there is NO model "M2M" - it's the "M2"

The C2-HA also has a Pyrex lens. It comes with the P60 65Lu/60min Lamp Assembly.

The M2 comes with both the P60 Lamp Assembly and the High Output Lamp Assembly - P61 (120Lu/20min)

The P61 Lamp Assembly will fit and function in all SureFires that have the P60. The P61 beam is best used at slightly longer ranges than the P60. With twice as many Lumens creating a larger beam (not twice as intense) compared to the P60, the P61 is obviously brighter and more light when using brand new SF123A's. Take it outside to really see the difference!

Al
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Try it in your pocket to make sure you can live with it.  I found my M2 a bit bulky as a pocket light.  

My personal favorite is an E2E - though without the figner grommet - follow by Z2 or G2Z.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the G2Z have a pyrex or lexan lens?  I believe it is lexan if I am not mistaken.  Also I heard the P61 HOLA should not be used with the lexan lens becayse it can dmamge/melt the lexan if used for a long duration.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The G2[b]Z[/b] has a Pyrex (toughened glass) lens.

The G2 [entry level model] has a Lexan (polycarbonate) lens.

Both are coated with a variety of anti-reflective and scratch resist layers.

The G2Z Pyrex bezel has the "Hex" anti-roll style where as the G2 Lexan bezel has 12 rounded bumps that go some way to reducint rolling.

The G2Z and G2 bezels can be swapped round. Indeed people buy the G2Z bezel (by calling SureFire) so that their G2's can use the P61 High Output Lamp Assembly without fear of melting the Lexan lens of the standard G2 bezel.

In general, SureFires are not intended to be used "constant-on" rather for shorts bursts and flashes. If used constant-on, models such as the 9P, 8X, 9N etc with outputs of over 100 Lumens and small 30-35 mm diameter bezels do run the risk of melting their Lexan lenses.
With the output of the P61, there is a chance that the G2's Lexan lens will be damanged for prolonged constant-on use. Nitrolon does not remove the heat from the bezel like Aluminium does. Therefore models such as the 6P, D2/D3, Z2/Z3 and C2-BK/C3-BK with their Lexan lenses are at risk also. A black anodised bezel with a Pyrex lens can also be bought by calling SureFire.

If anyone would like to see photos of the G2 and G2Z together, or the M2 with other SureFires to get an idea of scale, please email me.

Al
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top