Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:14:53 PM EDT
I am looking at getting an AR-15 for some predator hunting and some active prairie dog shooting while the bolt guns are cooling down.  I want a collapsible stock, 16" barrel free floated barrel w/ sling swivel stud, and flat top upper for a decent low power scope.  I have been looking at all of the brands,  RRA makes a good gun but  don't want the heavy barrel.  I have been looking at the Stags because I am left handed.  I want to get the best gun for the money.  I am willing to spend $900-$1000.  I am open to all brands.  I have an Armalite AR-10 and I like it but Armalite doesn't make any top ends that I like.  Thanks for any advice I might get.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]

You want to get your self a Hesse or Vulcan...

Or you can read up on it my friend and all your wondering will soon be understood...

Just playing...
IMO, I personally dislike RRA but STAG is a good choice... If I was left handed I would definitly go with the STAG...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
SPR clone setup?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bushmaster Patrolmens Carbine

Second to noneonly one factory AR15

and that's the Colt  

Seriously, they are both top tier choices

Spend a couple hours reading researching here on this board and the Industry forums, and I think you will agree

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have a Bushy Patrolman and LOVE it. Flawless with over 3000 rounds through it now at least. However it does not fit his bill of having a free floated bbl. Although there are not many uppers on the market with free float tubes and light profile bbls. The Bushy can be had and a free float forearm added for around what you are looking to spend.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushy Vmatch 16" is exactly the gun you described

Bushy Vmatch
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bushy Vmatch

Except that it doesn't have a collapsable stock.  Either get an aftermarket stock to go on it, or get the V-match upper and a standard carbine lower separately.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
if your left handed then you should go with a stag. but i'm just a righty so what do i know
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushy Vmatch

Except that it doesn't have a collapsable stock.  Either get an aftermarket stock to go on it, or get the V-match upper and a standard carbine lower separately.  

doh....I added the colapsible stock to mine....forgot about that
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Left handed AR's are a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I would buy the Vmatch upper, it is about the closest thing you will get to what you are looking for without having to do it all yourself. Remember that the V match barrels are just regular heavy barrels, not match barrels. As for a lower to build it on, I have used Stag in the past and love them. I just bought a Global Tactical lower (made by stag) to build my predator rifle on. Look on the EE here and check under industry here for site sponsors that will have what you are looking for. I just saw a 16" Vmatch on the EE a few days ago I think. And dont forget you can always build what you want if you can not find it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#12]
He said he did not want an Hbar
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Thought he ment a bull barrel sorry.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Its not a solution, its an option...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SPR clone setup?

If you are looking for handy and accurate, you can't get much better.  +1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]
If I were doing it I would look at the meid length medeum contour barrel Denny has... the recon barrel, stout and reliable with not all of the weight of an Hbar.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Bushmaster Patrolmens Carbine

Second to none

I'll second this.  I recently acquired this as my first AR-15, and I love it dearly.  It is light, well-balanced, accurate, and reliable.  For the money, I would say go with this or a RRA of your liking.  You'll be in the right with either choice, regardless.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Are you a lefty?
I am , I get gas in my face with my other AR's.
My stag lefty is perfect for me and I dont see brass flying across my fov.

-doofus.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Bushmaster.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top