Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2013 7:49:06 PM EDT
My 80% lowers are shipping soon and I want to ensure I have the correct end mills on hand. I know a 2 flute works better for aluminum.  Mostly I'm curious about the best diameter and length for some of the tasks. For instance I can see where a longer end mill would be helpful for the trigger slot. Thanks

Jim

Looking for pretty specific measures of the end mill sizes so I can order what I need.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need a 7/16  to cut the radius's for the corners and a 5/16 for the trigger slot if you want "mill spec".  You will also need to cut 1.25" deep.  I prefer to use a 1.25" flute length and cut the whole thing with that but some people use a shorter flute length and cut to its max depth and then change to the longer mill and cut the rest.  I like the center cutting 37 degree helix in 2 flute for milling lowers.  It is designed for aluminum and it seems to cut a little better.  I can't find them in 7/16....at least reasonably priced, so I use 1/2" instead of 7/16 for the main fire control pocket.  You will also need a 3/8 drill bit for the safety, a #23 drill bit for the trigger and hammer pins, a .155, or .156 reamer and a .375 reamer.  I had everything but the reamers so I paid the $20 bucks or so for them.  If you are buying all of them and buy low to middle grade cutters, bits and reamers you will probably have close to $50 into it.  You can spend a lot more or a little less but that will give you a ball-park price.  If you have real sharp and good bits, you can get away without the reamers by using a 5/32 and a 3/8 bit.  I like to go slightly undersize and ream to size but you don't really have to.  Take your time and measure 6 times before  you cut once.  7075 can't be welded and it sucks to make a mistake...trust me.

Enco is a good source, good prices, good selection and good service all combined with fast shipping.  There are places that may be a little cheaper but it won't be by much and if you find something cheaper, they price match anyway.

I am no expert but I do a lot of metal work and have a small machine shop set up in my garage so I will answer your questions as best I can.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Dweller is right on, but I found that the 3 flute mills for aluminum worked a little better for me. It seemed like everything ran a little smoother with a little less chatter. As another source, I buy mine from McMaster-Carr.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
For my benchtop CNC, 3/8" em  for FCG pocket and long-reach 1/4" em for the trigger slot.
(All radius's are compensated for in my CNC program!)
Both are 2 flute Cobalt. These cut aluminum like butter and gives an excellent Finish.
BTW...The Sharper Cobalt/HSS , will give you a better finish and require less force compared to Carbide of the same design!
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to be using a Sherline. Haven't started yet. Still shopping for tools and setting up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Scroll down to the middle of the page:

http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Well,

What tooling you need or want...?

McMaster is fine, as is MSCdirect.com as well

as for the types of end mills...

i have lots of tooling for my milling machine and such...But I use a Roughing Mill for the majority of the project...

Then switch to a 2 flute and run a finishing pass...In solid carbide, Usually a 4 Inch...I have them in abundance in the shop...

i also have built them from scratch as well...And then you need a few other things...Facing mills etc...Prefer carbide insert type...

My 2 cents
Bret
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've learned which end mill not to buy, so far. Ordered some more to see if they work better.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top