Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 8:45:51 AM EDT
I have my BM M4gery A2 upper and am awaiting the arrival of my BM lower (with stubby stock) through a local dealer.  Since only criminals are allowed to have collapsable stocks in NY, I figured the stubby would be better than a "pinned" (fake) collapsable or a full size A2 stock - especially since I would like to keep the rifle as short as possible.

That said, I am wondering if the stubby may be too short to get a good cheek weld with. This will be an iron sights only gun.  So, I want to keep it as short as possible, yet not sacrifice any benefit of a good cheekweld and comfortable use of the irons.  Is the stubby my best bet, or should I consider other options, such as an A1 stock or an aftermarket stock?

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!

BTW, FYI - I got my M4gery upper with Izzy brake a few weeks after ordering it direct from BM, but am going on a month waiting for the lower.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
That said, I am wondering if the stubby may be too short to get a good cheek weld with.

It is - unless you're wearing body armor and using a 'sub-gun' hold.

So, I want to keep it as short as possible, yet not sacrifice any benefit of a good cheekweld and comfortable use of the irons.  Is the stubby my best bet, or should I consider other options, such as an A1 stock or an aftermarket stock?

My Favorite is the Sully Stock - shorter than even the A1 stock, and just over an inch longer than the stubby.  It works great for a 'squared off' shooting stance (the type you use to 'fight' with the carbine).  It also comes with a 1" spacer to extend the length (still a bit shorter than an A1, about an inch shorter than an A2) in case you are big or looking for more length for prone or a 'bladed' shooting stance.

I have used the Stubby with enhancements to make it more palatable.

First option is a 1" spacer (sold by KAC and DPMS).  The KAC is 2x the price of the DPMS but it also adds a mount for a single point sling. This stock is almost as long as a Sully stock, and if you use an A2 buttplate (yes it works) you still have some storage in the stock.

Another option is to uses the adjustable buttplate available from Fulton Armory - with the use of two allen wrenches you can change the length from Sully stock length (when fully closed with the 1" thick buttplate) to a bit beyond A2 length - the height and cant can also be changed.

For more information on these options (and a few more like the A1 length VLTOR rifle stock) see The Stock section in the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site product reviews
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Forest, thanks for taking the time to answer my question!  I have placed my order for the Sully - now I hope the BM lower shows up sometime soon!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top