Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 9/3/2008 10:12:56 AM EDT
What is the best .22 lr bulk pack?  I am limited to Federal, Remington, and Winchester for local availability.  I am interested in accuracy and reliability.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:48:25 PM EDT
I prefer Federal red box from Wally World.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2008 3:19:57 PM EDT by --bullseye--]
Best bet? Federal 550 round packs from Wal-Mart. I have a few boxes stacked away (probably only 20K rounds worth, wish I would have bought more when it was cheaper...).

Anyway, in my experience Federal has always worked good for me, with decent accuracy. I have experienced a couple duds in the many different lot #s and thousands upon thousands of rounds I have purchased and fired. Nothing out of the ordinary though. Failure rate well under 1%.

Winchester .22LR in my experience is good ammo, but a little on the higher side of the pricing scale.

Remington Golden Bullets, on the other hand, are complete crap in my opinion. This will ruffle more than a few feathers, but with 3 different lots purchased at three different times and locations, I have experienced nothing but duds and (in one lot) out of spec bullet sizes. I was experiencing a dud rate approaching 10% (it was a chore to shoot...) and one lot would not chamber in a Ruger MKII Target pistol because the actual bullet was too big. It's been a couple years since I've dared buy Golden Bullets, maybe I was just unlucky. I'd assume Remington would be working on their QC by now, and their bulk packed .22 ammo could be g2g today, but I'm soured for life. Remington .22LR costs more than Federal anyway...

Just my $0.02...don't get too angry at me. I know the Golden Bullet has a rather rabid following...
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:47:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By --bullseye--:
Remington Golden Bullets, on the other hand, are complete crap in my opinion.

I agree whole heartedly.  They are dirty, nasty and underpowered.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:49:22 PM EDT
You've got to try and see what works best in your guns.  Like the poster above says, some people swear by Golden Bullets.  All I've ever done is swear at them.  Federal works in my 22s and it is the cheapest and I get decent accuracy.

If you're looking for real accuracy and reliability, you probably ought to spend a buck.  Mini-mags seem to work in any gun (reliability) and the sky's the limit depending on how far you want to go for accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:16:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cole2534:

Originally Posted By --bullseye--:
Remington Golden Bullets, on the other hand, are complete crap in my opinion.

I agree whole heartedly.  They are dirty, nasty and underpowered.

+1 on the Remington Golden Bullets - they are teh suck!!

My favorite bulk 22lr are the Remington Thunderbolts, accurate, reliable, and function 100% in all my 22s (10/22, Marlin mod 60, Ruger Mark III, 22/45, Marlin 880).

The Federal .22lr that comes in the 550 value packs are pretty decent but they are noticibly weaker than the Thunderbolts.  I have probably 90 or 100 of the 550rnd Federal value packs left (got them for $9 each a couple months ago).

The WORST .22lr ammo I have EVER shot is Federal Champion that comes in the blue box. TOTAL JUNK. The only rifle I own that it will function in is my bolt action Marlin. Even then, it's underpowered and inaccurate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:03:11 PM EDT
My Ruger 10/22 would eat Federal and Winchester Wal-Mart packs all day. The Remington was malfunction city. I ended up giving about 300 of the rounds away just to be rid of them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:43:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By feld-hure:
The WORST .22lr ammo I have EVER shot is Federal Champion that comes in the blue box. TOTAL JUNK. The only rifle I own that it will function in is my bolt action Marlin. Even then, it's underpowered and inaccurate.

My experience is the opposite.   I have only shot it out of my buckmark, but the Champion ammo in the 50rnd boxes is more reliable than the federal, at least in my pistol.  Now in my father's 10-22, it will shoot the federal bulk pack all day long and never miss a beat, just a dud once per box or so.

I have not found the champion ammo in a bulk pack, they only have the 50rnd boxes here but they are only $1.28/ea.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:09:52 PM EDT
federal wont shoot out gof my 10-22 at this time. jams my gun up every 2-3 rounds. Federal bulk pack.... shoot decent but the bullets wiggle in the casings. Remington have a hard primer. about every 15 rounds i have a misfire and have to rechamber the round and refire it to get it to ignite.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:10:15 AM EDT
What are you shooting it in?
I shoot fed in my spikes upper,rem in the glock AA kit.
Both areabout 90% reliable with power dips.
Ihave not tried winchester. Mayby I should.

Basically accuacy and bulk pack don't belong in the same sentence.
Reliability??
cw
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:56:33 PM EDT
Wow! i'm suprised, Federal does'nt cycle good in 3 different rifles Remington golden bullets do. Remington are the best accurac;y as far as budget prices go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:59:46 AM EDT
Federal
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:33:03 AM EDT
The Winchester DynaPoints are the most accurate in my heavy barrel 10-22. I haven't any function issues while using a standard 10-22 or the bull barrel or my Ruger Mark 1.
This ammo has good reviews on the .22 forums but is more expensive and harder to  find. I started buying it from Wal-Mart at about $10 a box of 500 but they quit stocking it. I found some at K-Mart but it is double the price, I guess ammo cost affect all calibers.

Federal bulk pack from Wal-mart is average for accuracy, I was hoping it would be better. It is OK for plinking. My experience with the Golden Turds matches the other posts.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:04:56 AM EDT
Try several and use what works in your gun(s).  Federal Lightnings (Red brick) is what works best in my 10/22.  VERY accurate for the price!

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/bungib/PublicFolder/Guns/Federal

50 yard 5-shot group
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:44:32 PM EDT
the wally world federal bulk pack works great in my 597 and model 60.  Way less than 1% failure rate, and extremely accurate in both.  I shot 300 rds of it out of my 597 last week to break it in and every one went bang and ejected perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:19:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chtmg:
The Winchester DynaPoints are the most accurate in my heavy barrel 10-22. I haven't any function issues while using a standard 10-22 or the bull barrel or my Ruger Mark 1.
This ammo has good reviews on the .22 forums but is more expensive and harder to  find. I started buying it from Wal-Mart at about $10 a box of 500 but they quit stocking it. I found some at K-Mart but it is double the price, I guess ammo cost affect all calibers.

Federal bulk pack from Wal-mart is average for accuracy, I was hoping it would be better. It is OK for plinking. My experience with the Golden Turds matches the other posts.  

The DynaPoints are the best I've found for my S&W Model 41. The high speed stuff doesn't group as well. I feel that crap ammo is a waste of $ for me, I'd rather spend more for whatever works best. A steamer trunk full of punk ammo, meh.

Midway usually has the Dynapoints. You're right, they are pricier. I've never found them locally.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:02:17 PM EDT
Federal Value pack all the way!!! It works in every .22lr I 've used it with.

223SAINT
Top Top